correct chain length?

roadstar06

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have a new tc bros 120 link chain for the bike and it appears to need shortening? is 120 the standard size? even with tire all the way back it is overlapping itself, i tend to over think stuff can't afford mistakeslol

If your bike is stock, a 104 link chain is correct. Often buying a 120 link chain is cheaper.
With the wheel all the way forward put the chain on as snug as you can. Where it over laps cut the chain so you have two inner links on the rear sprocket. Install the Master link. This will end up with a bit too much slack, adjust wheel back for proper tension and wheel alignment.
Leo

If your bike is stock, a 104 link chain is correct. Often buying a 120 link chain is cheaper.
With the wheel all the way forward put the chain on as snug as you can. Where it over laps cut the chain so you have two inner links on the rear sprocket. Install the Master link. This will end up with a bit too much slack, adjust wheel back for proper tension and wheel alignment.
Leo
Thank you sir

Leo
Hi Leo,
real early XS650s used 102 links but 104 links is stock for any disk brake bike with 17/34 sprockets.
It takes 106 links to run 17/36. 106 links will kinda work with 17/38 too but the wheel has to be adjusted right forwards.
My last chain & sprocket replacement was several years ago and at that time I also installed a ScottOiler.
I've only needed to adjust that chain twice since.

Yeah, I'm a cheap ass bastard and buying the longer chain is usually the best deal. If you have any kind of grinder and a punch you can shorten a chain without the fancy chain breaker. O-ring chains can be done without special tools too, small C-clamps and a suitable hex nut to receive the pin will work. I use the snap on master links, no special tool needed for that either.

Scott

Yeah, I'm a cheap ass bastard and buying the longer chain is usually the best deal. If you have any kind of grinder and a punch you can shorten a chain without the fancy chain breaker. O-ring chains can be done without special tools too, small C-clamps and a suitable hex nut to receive the pin will work. I use the snap on master links, no special tool needed for that either.

Scott
thanks,yeah I bought the breaker tool from tc bros.for cam chain not impressed with it I bought another one off Amazon that turned out to be same exact tool, tc bros claim its a must have for the cam chain but the press is rounded on the end to flare pin but cam chain link not like that.

Back