could it be the boyer ??? please help

papers

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
ok guys, first i want to say that this site has been great for info for me and a friend so thanks to everyone,,

now im having a problem thats baffled me to the point of no return:mad:
I have a 1980 xs 650 with boyer ignition and now im running the stock carbs because i thought i had a carb problem but anyway when i give my bike gas it starts to sputter and miss,, only when it gets hot,,
i had the new kehien (i think thats how to spell it) carbs on there and the bike would stall every now and then because it was so rich. so i had to re jet them and so i did. After that the bike would idle beautiful,, however after that it also started to fail on the top end so now i thought i had to re jet the main and so i did... it seemed to work ok until it started to sputter again on the top end.. Finally i got so mad with these carbs i put the stock carbs on to find out that it still does the same thing,, I think but im not sure that i can pretty mich rule the fact that its a carb thing out right? please help

Or do you think it could be an ignition thing and if so ,, is there a way to test the ignition and how ..............

thanks and please dont hesitate to ask me questions,, i will answere them all,,,
thanks

Re-set cam chain adjustment, re-set valve adjustment, re-set timing adjustment, and if this does not work look at a bad coil. Also check plug caps and wires. Along with carbs setup, and gas flow you should have everything covered. Tony C. P.S. Check battery

You might take a look at the Boyer Brandsen web site for their trouble shooting directions, and how to contact them for diagnostic help.

My bike quit running and I used their trouble shooting procedures to determine that the little blue box was really dead & sent it to them for a warranty replacement. They were very responsive with a new box, at no cost to me. That was about 5 years ago and new one has been rock solid since then.

Yes, even though they say it can't happen this way, I have had two Boyer units that would fail this way...one was fitted to a Norton and another on a Triumph. It only happened when the bikes were fully heated up on a hot day...no, as far as I know there is no way to test them for this type of intermittent fault, replacement is the only real option, so do your homework and test everything else before you go throwing more money at it.
I hope you have better luck than I have had over the past four years, with mine it has been one thing after another; like playing snakes and ladders, just when I think I finally have it working perfectly, it's back to the start again...anyhow, I don't intend to give up, I've had it too long (32 years)! Sometimes I think the things I have done to it over the years have made me my own worst enemy...Best of luck!

I dont know what to do ,,, im Pissed off cause i cant ride and i dont even know where to begin.. i just dont know enough of this sh-t and i wish i did,, if it is the boyer does that mean i got to send it to them so they can test it to see if they will give me another one,, and if so how long will that take? probebly the same amount of time it would be for me to get a pamco ,, so what should i do??? i will rule out the cam chain and the valve adjustment and after that i guess i got to get on the phone with boyer if thats even possible....what do you think???

I’ve emailed the guys at Boyer several times and though they are very, very slow to respond they will eventually get back to you with some answers. I believe they are in the UK so the time change may make phoning a little more difficult. I’m working my way through the carb tune and Boyer ignition as well. The problem I am seeing on my Boyer is that I can set the timing but when I snug down the screw the RPM’s just take off. When I looked at the stator plate I noticed that the screws were coming into contact with the plate. Given the choice and what I’ve read I would not buy a Boyer a second time.

http://www.boyerbransden.com/faultfinding.html

yeah i agree ,, the more i here about it the more everyone says their having problems with it ,, its just funny how i didnt here about this before i ordered this unit,, anyway im on my way to rule out the valves and the cam chain so ill let you guys know what happens with that,,

Agreed, I bought my Boyer a while ago but am just starting to get it installed. I thought I had done tons of investigation and was buying the best unit. now that I've joined this site I have some different thoughts.

Most people will think I'm nuts, but do you still have the original points ignition? You could put them back in if you do to see what would happen...I seldom consider electronics a real 'improvement" anyhow...trying to make something maintenance free usually means "repair by replacement" only. For the sake of fifteen minutes of maintenance a year, I prefer 'cave man' stuff, at least it can be easily diagnosed and repaired.

You just described the exact same problem I had on a 79 Special 16 years ago. It was originally a points ignition that ran exceptionally well. I "upgraded" it to a Neutronics solid state ignition. I found out the hard way that electronic systems (at least back then) were very finicky about system voltage. On mine, if the voltage was low by 1 or 2 volts, it would misfire, stumble, stall, fart, die, etc. I went back to the points setup and the engine was fat and happy. I have mistrusted electronic systems for xs650's since. That said, I hear all good things about the Pamco unit and may try one in the future. My present Heritage has the factory electronic system and is reliable so far. As a backup plan I've put together all the parts for the mechanical advance should I have to go that way.

wait a minute,,, are you saying that i dont need an eletronic system and i could just use the points ?? would you be able to tell me what i need for that and how to do it,,maybe show me a real simple way to wire my bike by a diagram,,, i would love to go b ack to simple stock and learn how to understand the system

Yes, absolutely! However it's not quite a plug and play. You will need some parts. The bikes that came with factory electronic ignition do not have bushings (bearings) inside the camshaft. The camshaft is hollow, the advance rod passes through the cam. So those missing bushings have to be pressed in.
I have to leave now but others can fill you in. I'll get back to you when I return.

I'm not familiar with the Boyer so it's possible you have the bushings already. If the bushings are not in the camshaft then you have to install them. This can be done with the camshaft still in the engine. You will need a complete advance mechanism, it's retaining nut and the locating dowel pins. You will need a advance rod. On the points side you will need a complete points plate assembly, the points cam, it's locating dowel pin and it's retaining nut and lock washer. Plus all the associated screws.You need all this before we even begin to discuss the electrical differences and requirements. All these parts have been available from MikesXS. I sourced my parts from this board you may be able to do the same.

The Boyer is a good ignition, and trying to put points in it is two steps backwards. Go through timing the ignition-it sounds like it will run well enough to do that. If you can get the timing set, you can be fairly certain the ignition is OK.

It sounds like carb problems to me.

John

I don't know about 2 steps backwards. It's just different technology. I do know this: The mechanical points system is stone Axe reliable and will get you home.

Back