could it be the boyer ??? please help

Yes and no, If either the primary or the secondary are open ( I.E. no continuity/no connection) then the coil is bad. But these tests will not tell you if you have a internal insulation failure. And these tests will not tell you if the coil is failing after it warms up. All these are possible. Troubleshooting is drawn-out process. Read my signature below. Read it again. Apply. There are very few shortcuts.

well let me ask you this.... would the bike still run if it read 0 on the secondary side of the coil? and if it turns out that the readings are what they are suppose to be ,,,what would you go to next,,

If you found the secondary to be open (no connection) then make one additional check with your meter. Set the meter to it's highest Rx setting. Measure the secondary again, if you read open (no connection) then the coil is bad. However, if you read some resistance then the coil may be good or not, At this point I would reach out to Boyer or someone with experience troubleshooting Boyer and go from there.
Keep this in mind: On XS650's with the factory (original) electrical system, problems often appear to be carburetor related when they are not.

Ok guys so I just tested my coil and im getting a reading of 0.6 on the primary and a reading of 2.7 on the secondary. Now im really pisses off and very confused. Tomorrow we are putting the after marketcarbs back on and putting the jetting back to stock. At least the bike was running then and that's going back to the beginning. After that I am at a complete loss and don't know what to do next. What do you guys recommend now?

Yes and no, If either the primary or the secondary are open ( I.E. no continuity/no connection) then the coil is bad. But these tests will not tell you if you have a internal insulation failure. And these tests will not tell you if the coil is failing after it warms up. All these are possible. Troubleshooting is drawn-out process. Read my signature below. Read it again. Apply. There are very few shortcuts.

so how do you tell if you have an internal insulation failure or how do you tell if its doing it only when it warms up,, theres got to be a way to check all these thing out !!!

i think im back on the carb thing but i dont know what im doing:banghead:

Was the bike running properly at one time or have you had this problem from the the very begining.If the bike just suddenly developed this problem it should not suddenly require a jetting change. if it is fuel system related it will likely be a contamination issue .You need to put it back to the setup you had before it started running bad ,If it has never run properly for you it will be very hard to establish a baseline setup without having some known good parts to substitute

Was the bike running properly at one time or have you had this problem from the the very begining.If the bike just suddenly developed this problem it should not suddenly require a jetting change. if it is fuel system related it will likely be a contamination issue .You need to put it back to the setup you had before it started running bad ,If it has never run properly for you it will be very hard to establish a baseline setup without having some known good parts to substitute

yes i think thats what needs to be done,,, i just ran a bunch of tests to see if it was the ignition and the ignition is fine,, the primary and the secondary are reading what they are suppose to be,, i even hooked up the power lead and the groung lead of the ignition box straight to the battery to rule out any other loose connection or bad grounding wires....

Its back to the carbs for me!!!!!:banghead: now i want to put the carbs that i had on it back on but the only thing is now i have to order more gaskets for the pwk's....
the ones i got have been taking a beating from switching carbs.......

the only thing that really messes me up is that when i started to work on the bike today,,,
and i started it ,,,,, the bike ran so good,,,,, i ran pretty far without having any problems what so ever..... when i got back from my quick ride and shut it off,,, the bike would'nt even start after that..... what the hell is that,,, i tried changing the plugs, i know im getting fuel cause the bike floods after a bunch of kicks (now i got a broken leg):mad:
i tested my battery and it is good....:wtf:i got so angry and confused that i had tio walk away from the bike and now im just done and dont know what the f-ck to do:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Back