Could this make the bike run hot?

Over 300 hours. I know its a bobber. But its what Ive wanted for many years just couldnt afford one so I built it instead.
My niece and my bike tonight.

Attachments

• 20230629_201550.jpg
    20230629_201550.jpg
    372.5 KB · Views: 57
Leave it there then if it takes throttle well. (talking about carb needles)

It's good, mostly required, to set the initial timing statically. However, especially since you have a PMA rotor, it's much better to set the timing with a strobe and verify that the advanced timing above 2000rpm is not more than 40degrees before TDC
You can make a good argument for not going over about 35° or so... I run my bike at 35° and it's just as happy as it was at 40°. I like having that 5° buffer 'tween me and detonation.

https://www.xs650.com/threads/xs650-ignition-timing-revisited-are-we-too-advanced.45197/

You can make a good argument for not going over about 35° or so... I run my bike at 35° and it's just as happy as it was at 40°. I like having that 5° buffer 'tween me and detonation.

https://www.xs650.com/threads/xs650-ignition-timing-revisited-are-we-too-advanced.45197/
Makes sense to me. At the pump here I have the choice of 87 and 91 octane. Ive been runnimg 91 in the bike. The Mikes XS that gave many angry hours of frustration seem to only run at 40° btdc or it didnt run at all. And it had to be fully advanced. Well advanced as far as the crappy unit will allow. If it was retarded at all the engine wouldnt run. I went from a 77 engine with odo of 9k to the 80 with 4k or at least read 4k and hours behind the wheel to pick it up because of that ignition system. Now I know why there isnt shit for videos of them being installed such a joke. And thag PMA kit they sold cost me more than I paid for the bike it self. I harvest maple syrup in the spring and I got the 77 for $450 and a pint of my syrup. 🙂

:agree: And if you need to make indexed timing marks on your case, you can create a degree wheel that is the same diameter as your PMA rotor here:
https://www.blocklayer.com/degree-wheeleng , print it out and align it with your TDC mark (or re verify that too) and make marks 13-15* for idle timing, 35-38* for advanced timing on your sidecase for use with the strobe light
1688098032447.jpeg

Makes sense to me. At the pump here I have the choice of 87 and 91 octane. Ive been runnimg 91 in the bike. The Mikes XS that gave many angry hours of frustration seem to only run at 40° btdc or it didnt run at all. And it had to be fully advanced. Well advanced as far as the crappy unit will allow. If it was retarded at all the engine wouldnt run. I went from a 77 engine with odo of 9k to the 80 with 4k or at least read 4k and hours behind the wheel to pick it up because of that ignition system. Now I know why there isnt shit for videos of them being installed such a joke. And thag PMA kit they sold cost me more than I paid for the bike it self. I harvest maple syrup in the spring and I got the 77 for $450 and a pint of my syrup. 🙂
I will put the degree wheel on it and make sure it is advancing to the 35° mark. Many thanks to you gentlemen!

Again, not to scare you but... this is what too advanced "can" do. This is from the thread I linked to above. It's a good read. I highly recommend it.

1688098673736.png

I run mine at about 38°. That puts the idle around 12° or 13°. I don't think I'd want to go much lower. This is enough to ward off detonation and pinging, which is why I did it in the 1st place. But, I don't feel it's too much. The idle speed dropped off and the idle got "lumpy", but it still idles nicely.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230630_125549.jpg
    Screenshot_20230630_125549.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 30
The bike last night did feel like it took alot of throttle to get moving. Different than last ignition. Wonder if I should move the clip up one? That would put it in the middle.

The bike last night did feel like it took alot of throttle to get moving. Different than last ignition. Wonder if I should move the clip up one? That would put it in the middle.
Road the bike for a couple days. Bike seems to be working pretty hard. When I go a few miles and come to a stop it does not want to take throttle until its past 1/4 throttle. Will adjust mixture screw? Not sure.

Back