Could you help ID this fork

Freerider

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hey fellas
I've bought a 72 cb750 ( I know it's not a yamaha) but after getting it home I've realized this isn't a stock 750 fork, looks to me like maybe a xs650 fork. Would you guys happen to know if that's correct and if so what year?
Thanks in advance guys

Btw my other bike is a yamaha

image_zps61226c47.jpg
[/URL]

Yes, it appears to be a 650 fork, wheel and, brake components. The non-flanged alloy rim could make it all from a '79 Special II.

Hi Freerider, welcome to the forum. Yes, it's definitely xs650. I have a 78, and there are some subtle differences between my forks and your picture. The dimensions are the same, but the caliper attachment looks a little different, and my fork has a small groove machined in at the 14 15/16" mark. My guess is 1977.

agree looks like a 79 XS650 SPII wheel and 35mm forks and brake from an XS650 also. We had a guy on here from Texas that had an XS650 with a CB750 fork and wheel, LOL.

P.S. check your steering neck very carefully often swapped front end = bent frame.....

Hey fellas
I've bought a 72 cb750 ( I know it's not a yamaha) but after getting it home I've realized this isn't a stock 750 fork, looks to me like maybe a xs650 fork. Would you guys happen to know if that's correct and if so what year?
Thanks in advance guys

Btw my other bike is a yamaha

image_zps61226c47.jpg
[/URL]

The axle clamp on the bottom of the left fork lower is not tightened correctly - there should be no gap on the leading (front) side. The arrow on the bottom of the cap should face forward. :bike:

Thanks guys. Appreciate all the help. I'm just getting this bike running then it will be completely pulled apart and done up. I've heard this fork may be a pretty good one to rebuild and change the internals? As I'm told on the honda forum. I'm sure you guys would know abit better?. The steering neck looks good, I'll have a better look when I have it apart though.It won't be rolling down the street anytime soon but the axle clamp will be fixed by then.
Again thanks for your help and if you can think of a better fork with the same stem measurements I'm all ears. I'm looking for dual rotors and a laced wheel, and a fork that can be built up with performance parts

Last edited:
These will accept dual disks. Not sure of the Honda neck dimensions. Search minton mods and or cartridge emulators on here for some fork "hop up" ideas.

Back