countershaft sprocket

ronstern

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
How do I know if the sprocket is worn enough to replace? There seems to be little wear but I have no idea if it should be replaced.

if it looks like this, replace. you should replace the chain and rear sprocket at the same time.

F010AF78-1.jpg

Posted via Mobile

Take a close look at the teeth. They should be symmetrical, the same shape on both sides of the tooth. When a sprocket wears, the drive side, the side that pulls the chain, wears away. The teeth get what is called a "fish hook" appearance like so .....

WornSprocket.jpg

A quick check is the lift check. Wrap the chain around it through 180 degrees, as if in use, and lift the link that would be at 9 o'clock if it was maounted. Pull the link forward. If you can pull it forward enough to see the bottom of the roller trough in the sprocket any at all, it's shot.
I don't have to measure or pull anything to tell you the one in post #2 is shot to shit. It is also correct that you should be replacing the chain and the rear sprocket as well. They wear as a set, they get repalced as a set.

You can't tell from that angle, you need to look straight at the side like in the pic I posted. Post a photo like that and maybe someone can tell you something.

sweet, nice to see a clean classic come back to life. another rhode. where really gaining in numbers. how many of us are their on this board anyway.

Hey another Rhode! I guess there are at least 2 of us here. I stripped the bike to just the frame and looking for a good powder coat painter. Know any?

you could talk to pete at( cafe cycles) in tauntin. I think thats the town. he,s just outside east providence. nice kid ,does good work. google( cafecycles) he has a web site. I would say there is at least 10 members from r.i. on this site.

Back