Cracked crankcase clutch left side

blank slate

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Ride on?

Or

clean all that blue crap off, buy a oem gasket, buy a new crankcase cover?

Attachments

• A602A66D-FE70-4A37-8B9A-CD6FB83BE672.jpeg
    A602A66D-FE70-4A37-8B9A-CD6FB83BE672.jpeg
    132.8 KB · Views: 134
  • BA0CCBBF-459B-479C-9E1D-0BF6B0E23FEF.jpeg
    BA0CCBBF-459B-479C-9E1D-0BF6B0E23FEF.jpeg
    127.1 KB · Views: 158
I've got the same break on my cover. I just glued the broken piece on with some super glue and installed the cover with some wax paper between the case and cover before the glue set. I removed the cover after the glue set and polished it. Good enough. I'm fast at glue jobs and do all of my "practice clamping" before using the glue.

Scott

Last edited:
It would depend on how hard up I was or felt. I might try some JBWeld sculpting but look for a new cover when the prices go down this winter. You don't want any water or dust and dirt in there.

IMHO, since the cover's function is to keep water (moisture, crap, etc.) out of the generator, and not necessarily structural, JB Weld should do just fine as a repair. With a little clean-up (sanding, don't slobber! :laugh:), you might not even notice it, unless you're really looking. And, a new gasket might seal without excessive use of the blue goo (just the usual smear to ensure a good seal). Good luck, and ride, ride, ride! :bike:

My cover has a crack in that area. Fortunately, not completely separated yet. It comes from years of cover pulls, with the cover hung-up on the hollow dowel, and the rear of the cover comes off first, before the front releases. I'd recommend a light sanding/cleaning of that hollow dowel, and the matching hole in the cover, to prevent that gripping hangup.

This is one spot where I'd like to try that "Muggyweld".

http://muggyweld.com/aluminum-repair

http://www.xs650.com/threads/shift-cam-and-case-damage.43659/

Grind a groove, following the crack line, on the inside of the cover, and fill with that muggyweld. The outside *should* remain unblemished...

I see the broken off piece sitting there now. I thought it was lost. This changes things...

Mine is developing a crack in that area as well, and I think this is the reason why - part of the gasket around the dowel went missing. That allowed the dowel section of the cover to be sucked in tighter by the screw .....

Zr69qf5.jpg

Here's a pic from a few years earlier, before the gasket section fell off, and no crack .....

LgTsIRe.jpg

I think I would be tempted to just leave that dowel out if I had the beginnings of a crack.

I don't think it's the dowel doing it, I think it's that tab section the dowel fits into getting pulled in and bent down more than the rest of the cover because it's gasket portion is missing. There's not much of a difference in height where the gasket is missing, but apparently it's enough. I always keep the dowels well lubed up with anti-seize so they don't stick.

I think you may be on to something there, 5T, and the rest of you guys.... What about sanding the hollow dowel down for a "sloppier" fit and anti-seize before installation? And during removal, giving the cover some mild 'drumming' with a non-marring hammer to get it moving (off)?

Back