Crankcase bolt

normanpitkin

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the large bolt is for near the neutral switch on the crankcase and where I could get a replacement.
Cheers.
Simon

If It's what I think your talking about, it's not a bolt. It is the neutral detent. It is kinda a bolt but it has a hollow end that holds a spring. This spring fits inside a tube with a rounded end. This rounded end rides on the shift drum. At the point the drum is in the neutral position there is a notch the detent drops into, This holds the drum in the neutral position.
Several of us have found that if you can increase the tension of this spring it makes it easier to find neutral. I did it by stretching the spring a bit. I carefully used a set of diagonal cutters put between the turns of the spring, this is where the careful comes in. squeeze the cutters enough to spread the turns but not to cut through the spring. It may need to be done in several places on the spring, As you stretch the spring this way it bends the spring. You need to do it in several placxes to straighten the spring.
Others have put a washer under the spring in the "bolt".
I found a break down of the detent. Parts 16 through 19.
If you ask on here you might find someone that has the parts you need and will be willing to let them go.
Leo

Attachments

• neutral detent.jpg
    neutral detent.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 192
Back