Crankcase Split, A Few Questions

YL82

Perpetual Restorationist
Reaction score
Cases split today - I may post a "here's how I did it" video later (See Post #6 of this Thread).

What's happened to the 2 studs (front ones) that are nasty looking? Are these easy to replace and will I be able to find replacements?

What's the proper tool to remove the 3 circlips (#16 in diagram) on the transmission Drive Axle (Output Shaft)? I've got snap ring pliers, but they seem more suited to the rings that have holes in them to grab onto. I got one circlip off with a screwdriver, but I didn't do it any favor.

Attachments

• IMG_0252.jpg
    IMG_0252.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_0302.PNG
    IMG_0302.PNG
    63.7 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_0282.jpg
    IMG_0282.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_0278.JPG (2).jpg
    IMG_0278.JPG (2).jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 267
  • Circlip_from_Hell.jpg
    Circlip_from_Hell.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 310
Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, Jayel. I love Partzilla - good prices and fast shipping.

I've had a hell of a time getting my photos loaded up - just got em' on here.

My Lang Pliers have a few attachments, but they're all pointy tipped ones, no flat tips.

ah pics! pics good lol I wouldn't worry about those studs just clean them up and coat with silver anti-seize on assembly to stop further corrosion, also those pliers maybe called lock ring or duckbill pliers

Attachments

• P2231829Large.jpg
    P2231829Large.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 268
  • 129_1108_04+project_long_range_clunker_part_5+duckbill_snap_ring_pliers.jpg
    129_1108_04+project_long_range_clunker_part_5+duckbill_snap_ring_pliers.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 250
Thanks kindly jayel.

Picked up a pair of Lock Ring Pliers at O'Reilly Auto Parts for $20.

Made in U.S.A.

Attachments

• Lock_Ring_Pliers.jpg
    Lock_Ring_Pliers.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:
I made a brief video summarizing my setup to separate the crankcase halves. Nothing elaborate, but effective. Always room for improvement, no doubt.

And here's a companion video of me lifting off the lower case half.

Good job on getting the cases split!
Thats quite the deal you have clamped on the head studs???

I tied my wife down like that one time, but then the cops came to visit me after.

Haven't seen either since.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Good job on getting the cases split!
Thats quite the deal you have clamped on the head studs???

Thanks, gggGary! I appreciate the feedback!

I assume you're referring to the 9" Polybutylene pipes and covers over the crankcase cavity?

That concept was brazenly borrowed from TwoJugs and his youtube videos (from "Motocasa"). I used the HF Toolbox foam Drawer Liner for gaskets like he did and used Spectar plastic instead of fiberglass for the covers.

I may throw together an album on this site or via photobucket on my fabrication of covers for the crankcase, cylinder block, cylinder head and cover.

Last edited:
Yeah THOSE. looked like they were steel in the video...

I'm not postive, but I believe that is (gray) Polybutylene piping typically used for underground water mains. It was scrap that I picked up from the Underground Piping Crew at my work.

As a public service, here is one of my f___ups along the way. While working to remove the #2 Starter Motor Shaft from the lower case, I sheared off the Phillips head screw (OEM# 98580-06020-00) that secures the Stopper Plate. It had to have been locktite-ted or corroded or both because it was very difficult to turn every step of the way.

I'm hoping that I can drill it out without messing up the threads. I suppose I can always helicoil it if it comes to that. I've got a new one on order from Partzilla, but at this point, I don't know how much screw thread is left up in there.

Attachments

• Sheared_Phillips_Head_Screw.jpg
    Sheared_Phillips_Head_Screw.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 241
As I disassemble engine components (with the exception of the crankshaft which I just plan to clean) such as the transmission shafts, starter motor gear parts, etc, I've got the following questions:

Transmission Bearings: when are these typically replaced? Only when there's a problem or is it worth doing when the crankcase is opened up? Are certain transmission bearings more prone to failure than others? I'm not aware of any issues with my bearings.

Selector (Gear) Mechanism: any issues or concerns with complete disassembly? Any particular parts that tend to wear that one should replace?

Back