Cross country trip from Chicago to LA SUMMER trip update!!!

Great adventure!!!
Years ago I did several 1500 milers on my Harley chopper, and a couple 1000 milers on my xv750 before that. I'd pack up my bike, tell my Lady goodbye.."I'm heading East and don't know what comes after that..no set destination..just cruising..pretty sweet.
Nothing like a road trip.
I'm moving toward a similar trip..shorter..not clear cross country....but long enough to really get lost the smells, sounds and sensations of being on the road...Got a '81 xs650..and I've been picking away at it..PMA, uPamco, Heiken oil cooler, real bright halogen headlite, clubman bars from a Laverada..real adjustable angles in two axises..next comes making an extension to move my muffler system aft about 2inches so I can install midgets, then sculpt and cover an old seat so I can sit slight higher..long legs...and get my but back a few more inches. I'm going to put a gel pad in the seat before covering. Found some mountain bike handgrips with rubber support for the outer edge of both hands that makes long hauls much more doable. Probably going to add a brake light flasher to make all my around the city riding less spooky.
I envy you being so far into this trip.
Have as much fun as you can tolerate.

I am planning on Chicago to Louisville next year. I can't wait! Looks like your trip was a blast.

I am planning on Chicago to Louisville next year. I can't wait! Looks like your trip was a blast.

That should be easy ride. 300 miles each direction. My words of advice. If you plan on going the full distance in one shot remember this. Anything on your back will start to hurt after 100miles. Strap it around your waist and rest it on the tank. Make sure you have a brand new well oiled chain. Bring a small contingency tool bag, allen wrench kit, adjustable monkey wrench, picture frame wire, electrical tape, and fuses. And if you ride in the summer then the most important tool is sunblock. I got from Chicago to Ohio with out it. I had terrible sun burn on my arms. Other than that just bring a credit card. everything can be solved with money. And send m a PM with any other questions about taking an xs long distance

Please tell me what tools you brought, how did you pack all of your gear, etc. I have Cruz Tools Mechanics Metric kit. I want to do a run to the Grand Canyon on my Triumph. My main concern is tent and sleeping bag.

tools i took:
2 adjustable wrenches for tightening the chain
vise grips, Ive had clutch cables and throttle cables snap on me just driving around town, you dont want that for your trip
Extra throttle and clutch cable
Can of cable/ chain lube, if you notice it looking dry you wont be clean but at least it will keep it lubed
Full metric allen wrench set
zip ties
1L Aluminum fuel bottle filled with gas.
flat and philips screw driver
roll of electrical tape
extra fuses.
I packed it in the backpack you see in the photos. Its a incase laptop bag, with a chest and waist strap. I high recommend not using a backpack. It really hurts your back, use a tank bag, or strap a duffle to the seat behind you. But if you are gonna run a back pack get one that has a chest strap. Its pretty bad to run at highway speeds and to take your hand off the bars for rest and the strap comes off your shoulder, Now your fighting wind just to get it back up will flying down the road, not safe.
Enjoy your ride, keep it on 2 wheels

Back