Cross country trip from Chicago to LA SUMMER trip update!!!

photojon

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So many people chimed in on my last thread about my cross country trip to LA from Chicago. Much advice was given, and I am heeding the advice. After my bike was taken out winter storage she is still a virgin. I bought her with 3 original miles on her, and proceeded to only put on 400 last summer. So my mechanic and I decided a shakedown of at least 1200-1500 miles will have to be put on to make sure there are no surprises that will leave me stranded in the desert. Sounded like a good idea (best idea that was ever presented)

Upon leaving the garage to start my 1500 miles of shake down over the next 2.5 weeks.

10 miles: My rear drum brake arm snapped. It snapped the bolt connecting the rod to the drum. Then the arm was bent beyond repair. So I turned around and back to the garage for 2 weeks as we wait for parts.

10-300 miles: My license plate was stolen Illinois plates $26

300-600 miles: My bike was waiting to have a new kickstand installed, so in the mean time I was using the center stand every time. Lower front end means you have to lift the bike up even higher, more strain on the back and more on the lever you stand on to get it on the stand. It slowly weakened until it was permintly bent.

IMG_2990.jpg

It was leaning slightly to one side, but was still solid. Just a bitch to get her up.

750 miles: Center stand fails, can no longer put bike on stand. And no side stand. Had to lean it up against a wall and position a car 1-2 inches away so it would not fall. Another day to the shop, this time its an emergency (its my daily driver, without it I cant get to work).

We fix the kick/side stand. We shorten the arm to work with the bike with its lower stance, reweld it on and spray it black to match the frame. reinforce the arm so I can easy kick it out with my foot and then get off. My mechanic decides to attach a "bung?". So it wont hit the frame. Sounds of idea, keeps it from coming near the exhaust, so my foot wont step on the exhaust when im putting the stand down. Also changed the rear sprocket to a 30 tooth for improved highway ride, 3600rpm at 60mph and 48-55 mpg of city-highway. With a couple top speed runs thrown in. (tach said 6400 rpm~ 106mph)

760miles: "Bung" makes the kickstand hang too low, now it scrapes the road on knee dragging left turns.

th_IMG_3004-1.jpg

1200 miles: Went back a week later after ringing up another 500 miles of riding. We decided to get new carb boots, these old ones are all cracked and leaking. Plus I want a tune up before I leave. Another license plate is stolen, the kick stand still rubbing, my rear LED brake/running light is on the fritz ( the running light wont work), carb boots, and need a quick tune up. What else can I add to the list?
How about the moment I get on the expressway to head to his shop, my clutch cable snaps and leaves me stuck in top gear. :doh::banghead::wtf: I have 26 miles before I get to the shop, plus 2 street lights. 99% of the drive is freeway driving, but if I get stuck at one light I have no idea how to stop. Managed to downshift with some force, gear by gear all the way to first gear and slow the bike to 2-3 mph before griping the brakes and letting it stall. Still had to push it 1 block to the shop.

Now she is fixed, she has a new clutch cable, new fork brace made out of half inch round bar:thumbsup: Added a new license plate frame that has 4 bolts to hold on plate, plus it has new brake/ running light. Shes only a couple days away from being ready to be picked up. And I'm ready for my trip and now the bugs have been worked out.

Ive taken alot of advice and have purchased a travel tool set to bring, plus I was worried about running out of gas so I purchased 2 camping fuel bottles to use as a reserve. Talked to a few BMW cross country riders that love to use them, they give them an extra couple miles if they are traveling to Mexico or just in between long stretches.
IMG_3058.jpg

All im looking for now is a tank bag. Something that I can fit these 2 bottles in, another one for water, small bag for food, and for my iphone to sit in a GPS compartment. Not too big. I will still be bringing a backpack with room as well. Any help is appreciated.

Go for it!!!
You should read JUPITER'S TRAVELS by Ted Simon....of his long journey on a motorcycle.
Wonderful stuff about the real, everyday experience of being on the road and dealing with whatever comes up. He started with the idea of this trip before he'd ever ridden a motorcycle..then worked his way thru the inevitable unpredictables and had a great adventure.
Keep the shiny parts up and have as much fun as you can tolerate!
Charlie

photojon,
Do I remember you are taking the northern route? Not traveling the mother road?
And whats up with the tags? They made of some special material?
+1 on what the others said about safe riding and pics.

Plates getting stolen or falling off? With just two bolts holding them on the vibes break them around the bolt holes. Adding a steel or thick aluminum plate behind and using 4 bolts stop vibes and breaking.
Another thing If you lower the bike use a couple pieces of 2x4 or 2x6 to put the tires on before using the centerstand.
Leo

+1 for what Leo said. My first one blew off, the second one got close before I made a stainless backer plate. No trouble so far.

I have a steel backer on the 75, the 81 has one built out of a piece of aluminum road sign.
Leo

Update***
So a couple weeks ago i decided to give my bike a test. Since I want to take my road trip to LA I want to see how my bike handles the trip. I decided to find the city I can travel to in one day if I ran into trouble I wont be too far away from help. So I decided Chicago to New York would be the best test. 800 miles each direction, stopping every hour and a half to fill up for gas and food. I would be taking US90/80 the entire way. Only took a couple pics on the way there. Pennsylvania very nice ride.
The bike held up great on the way there, no issues to report.
DSC_0199.jpg

DSC_0193.jpg

That deflated balloon on the ground is an inflatable neck pillow that i needed to sit on to not hurt my ass on the seat. It broke after 20 miles.
So I left on a Tuesday morning, and 16 hrs $78 in gas and I was in NYC by midnight.
Not much to talk about in New York, I met up with an ex-girlfriend to stay at her place and have some fun. Rested the next day, walked or took the metro everywhere. Didnt even look at the bike for 32hrs ( just the thought of having to get back on the bike for the return trip make my lower back and ass hurt). Then Thursday morning woke up early and went to fedex to ship all non essentials home. Dirty clothes, shoes, shit I bought for family the trip. Needed to lighten the backpack for the return trip. I still had to carry my camera ( a big dslr), rain gear (rain in forecast), tools for those emergency, and my Primus fuel bottle just in case.
Left New York at around 7:30am and ran into shitty traffic at the Lincoln tunnel. But at least I had new shoes.
DSC_0248.jpg

DSC_0244.jpg

DSC_0239.jpg

Again no need for pics while I ride, its just highway the whole way. Another 15 hrs, $84 in gas, 25 miles of hard down pour in Indiana, and I was back in Chicago.

What I learned:
New Jersey has shitty roads and smells
New York City has shittiest roads, smells like trash, bad drivers.
Pennsylvania has smooth roads, and clean air
Ohio has most expensive tolls ($15 to cross the state) but has the smoothest roads.

The bike can make a 1600 miles in 2 days trip with no big problems
My ass can make the journey, but doesnt want to do it to LA
Used up a little more than a quart of oil in the journey ( I had to fill up a little in New Jersey)
Broke the LED turn signals I added to the rear
The license plate ones held up swimmingly
32 hr riding a bike by yourself with nothing but your thoughts and some headphones is a great way to better understand yourself.
Dirtied up a brand new pair of chucks
DSC_0256.jpg

Right on. Nice job on the bike. Anyone posts a "are these bikes realiable" question should be linked to this thread.
Now that you've done it do you think your bikes styling is better for day tripping around town?
Do you think the 650 will hold it's own with hi-way traffic?
While introspecting on life did you start to "feel" the motor working the tick of the valves becoming a sweet song over the rumble of life between your feet?

Now that you've done it do you think your bikes styling is better for day tripping around town?
Do you think the 650 will hold it's own with hi-way traffic?

It holds up on the highway. It has a 17tooth, with a 30tooth on the wheel. It's smooth at 60mph, but it loves to race up to 85-90. The seat is the first thing that keeps it an around town bike. It doesn't have enough cushion. It's fine with short blasts on Chicago highways, followed with whipping around downtown rush hour.

But my LA trip just turned into a ship it trip. I'll crate it, then pick it up in LA and drive around for a couple weeks before shipping it back.

Very good job on the bike and the trip. They make several types of seat pads that just strapon over your seat that have the gel inside, might look into one. I might have tried a few shorter runs to help break in the butt before a longer run.
The better your carbs are synced the less the vibes. Adding weight to the bars helps vibes. I found running Dyna Beads in the tires helped vibes very much.
Well Done!
Leo

Oh, get some real shoes, not sneakers. Something out of leather with some ankle support.
Leo

Back