Cruising local roads

I was alone on an empty stretch of two-laner east of Ottawa late one night in about 1981 when this dick-weed in a big black sedan came roaring up and began to tailgate me. I was on my ‘79 Suzuki GS850G which had plenty of power and plenty of brakes, so at first I tried to out run him and then I brake-checked him a couple of times (yah - I know that’s dumb) but he hung right in there. Unfortunately, there was nowhere to turn off, no side roads and the shoulder was looking fairly soft, plus it was very dark.

After a little while, he zoomed around me and took off and then a few seconds later, he hit his brakes. I thought - oh goody, this may not end well for me. Then, he swerved a bit and took off again. Suddenly, right in front of me was a big dog (perhaps a Shepard) stretched out right across the lane. I hit him square in the abdomen. The front of the GS reared up and then the back jumped and finally, I came back down on the road still pointed roughly frontwards. The bike wiggled once, settled down and kept going with no apparent damage. I was totally stunned and amazed that I hadn’t gone down.

I did a u-turn and went back to see about the dog and the poor old guy was really in a bad way. He was still alive, but his middle was crushed and his hind legs weren’t able to move at all. I figure the car had hit him and buggered off and then I was right there with no way to manoeuvre around him.

I know that stretch of road really well (it’s near Mountain Grove, ON, where my grandpa was born) and I know that there are no farms nearby plus I hadn’t any way to transport an injured 100 lb dog the 40-odd miles to Perth which was the next big town. Soooo, I pulled him off the road and put him down as gently as I could - and then I had a good cry.

Sh!t.

Last edited:
That reminds me of an experience I had once. I was driving my car home from break at college late one night and this guy passed me and slowed down down to 10 mph and made a movement with his hand up in the air like he wanted sex. I'm not gay and don't appear gay, although I was driving kind of a gay car... Then I would pull out and pass him, and then he would pass me and slow down to about 10 again. Did that four or five times. Then I timed it so that I was behind him when the turnoff to the right to go into town came up. The turnoff was just a dark road that went off through an opening in the guard rail. So I took the turnoff and looked back up to my left and he was backing up on the highway. LOL. I never made that trip again without my M1 carbine laying in the back seat. Kinda glad he never showed up again because I probably would have pulled over and shot him. Years later I was reading that some famous serial killer they' d apprehended had passed through that area and I wondered if that was him.

Fred,

Bears are intriguing animals. Can't get enuf of the nature specials on the tele.

I have had only one encounter with them, black bears it seemed, in 2010.
I was on the 2006 Kawasaki KLR650. That's me in the mirrors.

View attachment 135504

I was deep in northern Pennsylvania State forestland, the Loyalsock region:

blury+RTKL+map.png

35352719221_8f0110dd5c_b.jpg

I was on a single-wide forest hiking trail, about an hour "out" from the road.
Very surprised to come upon a Mama bear on my right, and her cub off ahead on my left.

View attachment 135505

They were startled, too.
I stopped, and considered the option of turning around in the heavy brush, unlike the circumstances in photo, above, which could have been easier and quick.

What would you have done ??
Hi Pete,
you mean, after I'd soiled myself? Like you, I'd have made like a chicken and flocked off.

Hi Pete,
you mean, after I'd soiled myself? Like you, I'd have made like a chicken and flocked off.

Black Bears are VERY common around here. Sightings common during the non-hibernating months. Sister In Law has had one try to get in her trailer on a couple of occasions.

My pre-plan for bear sightings is similar to Fred's: Make like a shepherd and get the flock outta there!

Back