Cruising local roads

Me too! My favorite rides are just little two lane meandering roads. Good stuff!

The very best. I spent last Summer exploring the two-lanes a bit inland from Mid-Coast Maine. Beautiful, beautiful country. Small towns, small farms, rolling hills. You'll be riding through a tunnel of trees and top a hill and have a gorgeous vista of pastures, woodlots, distant hills dotted with little farms.

Blasting down well-known roads with your knees hanging out on the curves is fun too, but sometimes a lazy putt and just taking in the scenery and aromas is just the ticket.

House my grandson is putting an offer on is slap in the middle of such country, and I've already scouted out a backroads route to get there...

- - - If you are walking through the bush, the best thing to do is make noise (by carrying a dingle-bell etc.) as you go along - - -
Hi Pete,
you can tell if it's a black bear or a grizzly on the trail ahead by examining it's scat.
Black bear scat has little shellfish parts in it. Grizzly scat has crunched up dingle bells.

Hi Pete,
you can tell if it's a black bear or a grizzly on the trail ahead by examining it's scat.
Black bear scat has little shellfish parts in it. Grizzly scat has crunched up dingle bells.
Fred,

Bears are intriguing animals. Can't get enuf of the nature specials on the tele.

I have had only one encounter with them, black bears it seemed, in 2010.
I was on the 2006 Kawasaki KLR650. That's me in the mirrors.

frame 003.jpg

I was deep in northern Pennsylvania State forestland, the Loyalsock region:

blury+RTKL+map.png

35352719221_8f0110dd5c_b.jpg

I was on a single-wide forest hiking trail, about an hour "out" from the road.
Very surprised to come upon a Mama bear on my right, and her cub off ahead on my left.

003.JPG

They were startled, too.
I stopped, and considered the option of turning around in the heavy brush, unlike the circumstances in photo, above, which could have been easier and quick.

What would you have done ??

Last edited:
I would have probable sat there and hoped they wandered off. If mama bear started coming towards me and I didn't think I could get bike turned around in time I would have done what we used to do racing. "When in doubt gas it." Full steam ahead with horn going off. Probably wrong thing to do.

A high-rpm dirt and rock spewing 180° doughnut comes to mind...
Well, I had hoped that Fred would join the discussion by now, but I'll mention what I did, after about 10 seconds.
I throttled it to a high RPM and did a dirt and rock spewing launch between them, and did not look back.
I'll remember the moment on my deathbed, whenever that happens...

Back in the 70’s , while riding a Yamaha XT500, I tried to hit the gas and shoot around a big dog that was running from out of a front yard with the intent of attacking me. Well that dog sure surprised me with a burst of speed and I plowed right into him at full throttle. Sent me flying over the handlebars and belly flopped on the asphalt.
The only motorcycle accident I’ve had.

I throttled it to a high RPM and did a dirt and rock spewing launch between them, and did not look back.
Good answer ! And choice.
Been in a similar predicament.
Eclipse 2017 thread. What I did not mention about that F650 excursion out on the Warm Springs reservation was that early that morning I rode right up on a very nice looking Black bear cub. Freshly hit and dead in the middle of the road through Mt.Hood forest.
I actually stopped over it. It was too interesting not to. Looked for life. None. No sign of injury. Thought about dragging it off the road ? Yikes, bad idea as Mama bear was my next thought. Throttle back on.
The rest of the day was so wonderful I had to not mention that to others.
-R

Attachments

• 20170821_174807.jpg
    20170821_174807.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 151
  • 20190221_153423.jpg
    20190221_153423.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 134
At MSF they taught us to slow down when the dog is coming out of the yard at you, and hit the gas just before it gets to you. It throws off its trajectory to intercept you and leaves him just standing there...

Yup, from what little I know about these creatures, I had this thought, too.
The question is would the mama bear ever get scared and run away. I saw a mama cat literally beat up a pit bull that was so enraged by her kittens he pulled his stake out of the ground and rushed her. It was a white dog and his whole head was blood red. He didn't get a single lick in... Cat claws are like razor blades.

I want to hear the dog's story...

The dog: “ So there I was, sleeping in my front yard, guarding my street you know? When all of a sudden I hear this noise! I looked up and couldn’t believe my eyes, some yahoo riding a motorcycle right down the middle of MY STREET! Not today Bucko! Not today! Not on my watch!
Well I ran out to bark at the guy and tell him he better get outa here, and that son of bitch hit the gas and ran me over! “
D881827C-9413-4503-A9F8-EA69456550E2.jpeg

About 1970, CL77 vs. neighborhood german shepard, ankle biter, would draw blood. Put buddy on back, JRP1. He shot dog with a pellet pistol. He hid behind the house when he saw me coming.
19b17adf95753cc0310fc9ec1ac3b968--in-california-pet-adoption.jpg

For a month....
Then he ran in front of me,
German-Shepherd-Obedience-Training.jpg

I rode over him but crashed. He's dragging his hind quarters trying to get away, I'm limping after him on a bum ankle to kill him.
post_dont_blame_dog_when_bites_350x228.jpg

He was more motivated LOL. Dog owner's insurance paid up. There had been police reports on the dog, so free first bite rule didn't apply..

Back