Cush spring repair kit advice needed.

webbrs

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello to all, its nice to be here. Thanks for having me.
A little background, I have a 1983 Low Rider I have restored that still wants to be fed another $3500, :doh: and I'm a second time XS'r. My first XS was quite a few years back but I never forgot the model and finally was able to grab a very choice hand built 1981 XS 650 SH, hard-tailed-jockey-shift bobber. ( hate to have to say I bought it this way but I'm not this creative, wish I was). http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/showimage.aspx?gid=1769910&image=744269965&images=744269965,744269970,744269982,744269991,744270000,744270006,744270011,744270021,744270031,744270070,744270074,744270448,744270456,744270464,744270467,744270472,744270486,744270499,744270507&formats=0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0&format=0
It has not been well maintained but does start first kick and button push. She barely had any fork oil and what it did have was black black, the front caliper was freezing up and turned the rotor red hot on my rides from work ( 8 miles, scary, I kept thinking what is that smell...)
I rebuilt the forks, changed out the caliper and master cylinder, also had to shorten the chain, replaced a broken drum detent spring, replaced the pushrod bush/seal and added the one piece rod, found a cracked outer oil rotor, and a broken cush spring. Which leads me here now.
I ordered the parts form MikesXS and the oil rotor seized up (noticed during assembly, whew, I talked to them, they say they are working on getting better ones) and filed it down as was done by other members, (yikes, but it spins) and then went on to install the Cush repair kit.
The new Cush springs measured .920 when the stock ones were .873. I don't know what the stock springs measured when new, and mikes or Yama bits are the only sellers I have seen with this kit or these springs new at all for that matter. They both appear to sell the same kit. I wanted the Vesconite setup but it is no longer offered and no one seems to have used Delrin or a similar product from what I can tell here.
Problem is that the springs are too large for the cavities in the setup. I have crushed them down to around .913 in the vise and mixed the old springs with the new ones, long springs in the long cavities, old springs in the short ones. However, I cannot get the long ones to seat in to the retaining plate. I have seen some posts that members have used this kit but no one seemed to elaborate that they had this problem.
Can anyone offer some tech on how to get the plates together and how they kept the washers centered? I made sure to notice that the flat washer rests against the drive gear and the spring washer against the retaining plate but I can't find an exploded view of the clutch basket to confirm this, so can anyone confirm that the setup is correct? Lastly does anyone feel that the preload on the basket is going to be affected with the longer springs and cause problems later? I don't like using old stuff when I do repairs but there is no way I am going to get all of the longer springs seated. I can't find a NOS basket and used is used to me, as in who knows when it is going to fail, not if.
I am going to keep wrestling with it, this is the last step to getting back in the wind, but hopeful some advice can get me there easier.
Thanks again
Rick

Last edited:
I've never used one of those kits. I buy used clutch assemblies off eBay. Usually you can get a whole clutch for less than the kit. I recommend switching to the later inner basket with the spring-loaded bottom plate. This dampens the engagement and is much easier on those cush springs.

Thanks. I have an '81. It has the spring loaded boss. I haven't found one for less yet. Sounds like you have bought more than one? I am beginning to wonder if doing away with the springs and going to delrin spacers isn't better. I wonder about shear factor and delrin chips floating around in my oil. Sounds like it is going to be an "eyes on" part either way.

Yes, I have bought a couple over the past couple years. Some ask big stupid money for them but if you watch, they can be had cheap. I think I got mine for about $30 each.

I've managed to source the button head Allens and the thin nuts for the repair, just looking for a spring source now.

Another "upgrade" in my opinion would be a rear wheel with the cush drive sprocket, like most other bikes use. I never saw a bike with the cushion in the clutch hub like this. Obviously, it's a weak point in the design. I have an XS500 rear wheel with the rubber mounted sprocket hub I'm hoping to try out this season some time. That along with my dampened inner hub and hopefully I won't be breaking any hub springs.

So the force is imparted from the rear sprocket all the way up the chain, through the trans to the drive gear? That's gotta be hard on the transmission. I was under the impression it was transferred from the motor to the drive gear and over time the springs just gave out. hmmm. Im interested to see if the new wheel solves this.

Thanks, yeah I saw that too. I was hoping by adding different length springs I was doing the same thing. Having the new springs take up the shock before the old ones kick in. Grinding is a no for me. I have an idea about two c-clamps and some needle nose pliers seeing if I can get the plate down. No clue as to where the washers are going to end up. Of course this is going to be between episodes of Silicon Valley. Gotta catch up, lol

I'm wondering what is going to break if I just weld this plate to the drive gear without the springs. My Harley has a belt drive primary that would break the belt because of the drive pulley had a shock loaded bumper that snapped back when using the electric starter. The fix was to weld the two piece pulley solid and it stopped breaking belts as the bumper was over-engineering. Not desperate yet so that will be just a ponderance for now.

You need some spare clutches to experiment with, lol. When I get a new-to-me bike and find out I like it and plan to keep it, I start looking for a parts bike. I finally dragged one out of a farmer's field for my 650, 50 bucks. Got most of another for doing a guy's top end. Both were beat to death, literally. That's why they became parts bikes. The clutches in both were beat, broken springs and even a couple fiber plates worn completely bare in one. But, I can assemble one good clutch from the two, and they have cushed inner hubs, so I made out OK.

You sure did! So your giving me a reason to buy another motorcycle? I do like where your going with this! I saw a frame I liked... uh oh I know where this is headed...:D

Those damn things are a pain arent they. I had to rebuild mine for the new engine from 2 extras i had.. Short bolts, and jam nuts with some good ole loctite. Not sure wtf yamaha was thinking with this setup. Piss poor.

Posted via Mobile

Yes they are. How did you keep your springs centered? Did you place the spring washer on top of the flat washer when looking down at the setup? I am thinking heavy grease or tape/glue. I have red 271. Is this stronger than 262?

Last edited:
I just put the springs in their respective spots on the back of the clutch hub, then made sure all the washers and spacers were proper and reassembled it. It was easy actually. Red loctite of some kind. Made sure both mating threads were cleaned with degreaser and a qtip so the loctite will bite.

Posted via Mobile

.... I have red 271. Is this stronger than 262?

Yes, those are the mil-spec versions of the general purpose 263. Find them at bottom of this chart, Loctite's 2011 selection guide. If you want to be really sure, Loctite advises that these products have a 2-year shelf life, and locking properties drop off after then...

Attachments

• Loctite-2011.jpg
    Loctite-2011.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 144
Thanks for the info. I feel if this conglomerate clusterf$%k stays together for two years I'll consider myself lucky. CDNT I like how your calling this easy. Kinda worries me about what you consider difficult and hope I never know. I'm guessing your springs weren't oversized like mine. I'm going to be all in on it today as I want this motorcycle together. All I have after that is re-jet and sync. If worse comes to worse I will have to get my money back and order an used basket, but I am hopin I can do it.

I just went gudntite, with red loctite. Had no idea on tq spec. Yeah, my springs were all from other baskets, no extra length on them.

Posted via Mobile

After I got it all buttoned down I couldn't stop worrying about it. So I'm taking 5twins advice and bought a used basket, gonna tear it down again and replace the Franken-basket. What's another $75 compared to trashing a good motor. What is it someone said "fear is temporary but regret is forever", better to cry now than cry later I guess.

Back