Custom Kickstand Options?

BigJimmyW13

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
I'm curious to see what my options are for a custom kickstand. I'm thinking of leaving my XS lowered to it's new current height. (Stock forks and tubes although raked to accept +4" tubes). I am also planning on possibly picking up a 21" rim for the front and would not be opposed to being able to adjust the height of the kickstand without cutting it off and rewelding or having to replace it if I do decide to do that. I'd prefer chrome or black chrome/anodized. Any suggestions guys?

P.S. Budget kickstands are:thumbsup:

- on the other hand, if you cut the foot and tab off in one piece-2 cuts-it may help you tack it in place in order to get the right angle, and help prevent an unpinned midshaft weld ?

True. We'll see. Hopefully I'll figure it out. If not I guess I'm screwed!! lol j/k I know that I'm sure I'll go through a few recip blades on these cuts.

Don't get me wrong. Yamachops build is sweet. I followed his build on 650rider. So jealous. There is one thing that I don't like about his build though. When it's down it looks absolutely sick, but when it's in riding position... IMHO it just looks kind of goofy.... Otherwise the damned thing is sweet and I think he should leave it to me in his will.

sorry I don't have a better pic...here is a little vid. that shows my kickstand. What I did is cut the stock stand and I intended to weld it back together, only shorter, but I was not able to make it strong enough. So what I did is cut a piece of tubing with a slight curve at the end and a flat piece on the end, from this old real ugly hardtail frame that's just junk. The end piece just kind looked like a "foot" to me. So I whittled the top half of the stock stand down a bit so that it became a little narrower at the bottom end, and then I JAMMED it into the piece of tubing. Hammered it in til I couldn't budge it back out, and then welded around there. So basically I inserted a whittled down stock stand and jammed it into another piece of tubing which just happened to have a foot-like thing on the end.
Then I reattached the foot flipper thingy but it was no placed correctly. I learned that not only is the job of the foot flipper thingy to make it easier to raise the stand, but it also needs to stop the stand from going up too high under the frame. So it also serves as a "stop" in the up pos. at the frame rail.

So I welded a different and much shorter one on. Works well now (I think) and isn't in the way.

Here's the vid and then a link to some pics as I made the thing.
Its funky but I think it will work.
If anything, I think I may have to add a kind of "ski" under the foot, just to give it a larger contact area to the ground. But really, the stock XS stand doesn;t have a big footprint either.
So, we'll see.

th_P1010002.jpg
"]
th_P1010002.jpg
[/URL]

Link to pics how I made it, but this only shows the long foot extension thing attached, which I later had to replace as it interfered with the frame.

http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/gg258/emzpublic/XS%2009/Sat%204-11%20kickstand/

Interesting Aunty Em. I will definitely keep that in mind. You said that you couldn't make it strong enough. That's why I planned on sending with a friend whenever he goes home on one of the weekends so that way he could use his dad's welder which is apparently actually a Star Wars Death Star fitted into a welder shell. Lol I don't know that it's that powerful, but I know that it will definitely be more powerful than my 110v welder. So we'll see. If it doesn't work out that way. Maybe I'll give the Aunty Em method a whack.

ok, good luck! If I hadn't happened to have that other piece to use, I was going to create a "sleeve" to try re-joining the stock stand again. Like join it as best I could with my welding, then sleeve it, and then weld the sleeve on too.
:)

Thanks again Aunty Em. I'll keep that in mind whenever explaining to him what to do. We'll see though. Maybe it'll go smoothly!! Never know! I was actually thinking about doing an 1/8" separation between the two pieces and doing four really deep initial welds around it and then fill it in, but like I said. We shall see.

The other idea I have is to just straight up cut then foot off. Leave one of the peg bars (the bar to raise and lower the kickstand) and heat the sucker up and bend the end of it out and make it into the foot itself.

Make it look kind of like this in your photos.
P1010051.jpg

I tried heating mine. Not even close to hot enough with just MAP gas.

One other idea I'd thought was to drill a small hole in both cut ends once you have it in half - the holes would have to be in just the same position on both pieces - then put some kind of "pin" (metal) into one and jam that one into the hole on the other one, to "pin" the thing together tightly prior to welding.

LOL, these are the kind of things that keep me awake at night, I kid you not.

I don't have a picture of it, but I made a kickstand out of an old SK 1/2" breaker bar. Put a nice little bend at the foot and a clutch return spring to keep it up and down. Necessity is the mother of invention.

When I lowered my bike once I put my kickstand down the bike stood a little over center and wanted to tip over on it's right side. My solution??? I took the kickstand off placed it in a 20 ton hydrolic press and put a slight bend in it. Then I bent the foot back down the same amount otherwise the lower tab to hook the spring on would touch the groung. And Bam!!!!! It's perfect. And the kickstand only sticks out just a little once folded up. Doesn't get in my way at all because it's still below my footpeg.

I don't have a picture of it, but I made a kickstand out of an old SK 1/2" breaker bar. Put a nice little bend at the foot and a clutch return spring to keep it up and down. Necessity is the mother of invention.

When I lowered my bike once I put my kickstand down the bike stood a little over center and wanted to tip over on it's right side. My solution??? I took the kickstand off placed it in a 20 ton hydrolic press and put a slight bend in it. Then I bent the foot back down the same amount otherwise the lower tab to hook the spring on would touch the groung. And Bam!!!!! It's perfect. And the kickstand only sticks out just a little once folded up. Doesn't get in my way at all because it's still below my footpeg.

Both of ya'll should post up some pics for me to see!

I wish I could but my computer is broke and the only way I can get on here is my iPhone. It won't let me upload photos. Sorry. I could email you one if you want. You could pm me your email address.

Here you go. The square part is to mount the anderson style foot pegs. The entire assembly bolts to the original exhaust mount. also attached a pic of my unoriginal TCBros, sportster tanked project.:D

Attachments

• 0312000557.jpg
    0312000557.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 562
  • 0207000833.jpg
    0207000833.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 585
Back