Cutting stock exhaust

sbtm

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys

I have my new mufflers on the way (emgo shortys) and i am preparing to shop the stock mufflers off. I read the post in the tech section, but I am still a bit confused. Do i cut at the weld closest to the stock hanger, or the one further back?

Dylan

By saying you are preparing the shop the stock mufflers off, I assume you mean chop.
By saying this I assume your bike is a later special.
If it was an earlier standard the muffler are not welded to the head pipes.
Most people cut them off at the front weld. Where the pipe come back into the muffler and is welded in place.
After you cut them off you can't just clamp new mufflers to the headpipes. You need to adapt the mufflers to the headpipe inner pipe.
The outer pipe is more or less just a heat shield. The inner pipe is what carries the exhaust.
Leo

Thanks guys. I cut the mufflers off at the first joint near the mount. I took the new mufflers and the chopped headers over to advance auto parts, to see about the exhaust adapters. I bought the adapters that pamcopete recommended and a straight adapter that barely fit over the header and large end of the tapered adapter.

I drilled the hole on the exhaust support large enough to fit the peg mount and attached one. I tightened the clamp all of the way, but the muffler felt too lose, so I took everything apart and welded the adapters together and to the outer header tube, now it is rock solid. The passenger pegs just barely clear the mufflers. looks great and sounds like a completely different machine (aka no longer like a lawn mower). I think i need to repack the mufflers, they are LOUD!

IMG_20120809_234041.jpg

Next steps...

Rebuild head + replace cam chain (valves, guides and chain get here tomorrow)
Wrap headers
Mill a mount for speedo (and maybe tach, trying to clean up the controls/bars)
New tail light/bob rear fender

Back