Cylinder sleeves

Doug79

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have herd that when baking a finish on the cylinder casting, that you have to support the liners so they don't fall out. If that is the case, can the casting just be reheated and the liners reinstalled in the same hole they came out of?

I have herd that when baking a finish on the cylinder casting, that you have to support the liners so they don't fall out. If that is the case, can the casting just be reheated and the liners reinstalled in the same hole they came out of?
I'd put the cylinder upside down on the pan when you heat it up.

As mentioned cook with the top down. The liners set just a tad proud of the alloy. Setting them top down the weight of the jugs hold the sleeves in place.
Let cool completely before handling.
If you forget, the sleeves just stand in place and the jugs slide down, to fix let them cool, Turn over, reheat till the jugs slide back in place.
Let cool.
Leo

As mentioned cook with the top down. The liners set just a tad proud of the alloy. Setting them top down the weight of the jugs hold the sleeves in place.
Let cool completely before handling.
If you forget, the sleeves just stand in place and the jugs slide down, to fix let them cool, Turn over, reheat till the jugs slide back in place.
Let cool.
Leo
Good info, I want to remove he liners before sending the barrels out for ceramic coating. That way I don't have to worry about them having any issues with them when they are blasting and baking on the coating.

Man I baked the dog s--t out of my barrels today and the liners never did come free. I'm going to take that as a sign to leave them alone and tell the coaters to be careful.

Man I baked the dog s--t out of my barrels today and the liners never did come free. I'm going to take that as a sign to leave them alone and tell the coaters to be careful.
On kawasaki 900-1000 cylinder drs I normally stick them on a cookie sheet the way the say sit on the motor with oven preheated to around 350.
Usually takes 1/2hr or so ,just listen for the thump .
Then hurry up and pull the sleeves out.
I've had some before that were actually glues into the block that took a little work to get them out.

Back