Damn calipers

Doug79

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I am rebuilding calipers on both ends. The shop manual is about worthless as far as anything but the big picture goes. no details.. My question concerns the sleeve that the mounting bolt for the caliper to mounting bracket goes thru. It seems that the caliper should move fairly freely back and forth on that sleeve so when the brake is applied, the caliper can move to the outside allowing the inner pad to contact the disc and return to center when the brakes are released. mine are both real solid but before pound them out to free them up I want to know that is how the brakes should work. Note to self....Quit taking shit apart 2 or 3 months before ordering parts to rebuild...I never take enough pictures and can't remember a damn thing!

Gary....Thanks for the info/link answered all my questions. The only issue left is getting the inside retainer screw to line up with the brake pad tab. it just does not want to go in the hole when the caliper is mounted to the bracket..I'll mess around with that after I get the sliding sleeve fixed.

There is an anti-rattle clip in the caliper above the pads. You need to push the pad up a bit to compress the clip and the screw will go right in.
I find this easier to do this with the caliper off the bracket.
Leo

You might want to double check the stainless pad retainer. it has an inner and outer end but it CAN be installed backwards. IIRC that keeps the pads from sitting just where they should be.

I press down on the caliper to align that rear screw with the hole in the pad BEFORE mounting the caliper to it's bracket. Easy as pie that way.

I noticed my caliper was frozen on the rubber sleeve last summer. I thought it used to move. I guess these need a little attention every 10 years or so, lol. I was chasing a brake squeal problem that had started a year or so back and was getting worse. Fixing (lubing) that rubber bushing didn't solve it. Adding Yamaha's own anti-squeal shims scrounged from a later caliper did.

The rubber bushing is still available from Yamaha and even comes with a packet of grease.

I had to get another one this past summer as the metal caliber sleeve froze on my front caliber as well.

If your talking about the sliders , yes, i rebuilt two calipers and both sliders had no grease whatsoever in them. Once greased, and back in action, gtg

I have a big new tube of dielectric grease that should dod the job.. Not sure why they thought they needed to run that sleeve thru rubber. Automotive braked that i have don't don't. Maybe they were worried about noise.....on a motorcycle?

Back