dash light wiring

billyb

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Ok I just installed one of Mikes basic speedometer on my build and am wiring the dash lights without a problem. Back light, neutral switch, high beam all check out fine. Blinker signal not so much the lead has a ground and positive so thought I could just jump the positive to left and right signal nope. If I tie into one side the dash light blinks fine when switched on but wired to both sides all four signals flash and in the off position the dash light keeps flashing. Oh and I have LED signals with a LED flasher relay which works fine but so could that be the problem what am I missing in trying to get the dash light to blink with each side and shut off when lights are off.
wiring is not one of my stronger aptitudes so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Then they can both be connected to the same blinker or winker.
Thanks rsor! Not sure I follow I have the main going into the switch from the relay flasher and left and right out to the lights on each side so the diode would go on each feed left and right and the dash light feed to each before or after the diode? also what size diode and where might I purchase them.

I think you should have feed from flasher to handlebar switch, then the switch sends it right or left.
Tag a wire onto the right and left from handle bar switch to the winker or blinker light.
The diode is like a check valve, electrcal current flows one way only, so it cannot go through the winker to the other signal light, which causes them all to light up.
The store I brought them at is actually called the Source, in Canada.
Look at this thread, I put some pictures in it, some other people did as well, there is some great info there.

http://www.xs650.com/threads/mini-tach-and-speedo-wiring.51554/#post-541917

Back