Delco 440 Wires

littlebill31

Smells of Raw Fuel
Reaction score
I have a dual output coil without spark plug wires.
However, I have a few feet of new Delco 440 wire and was told (and read) that this would be fine and actually a lot better than the stuff that is sold.
Thoughts?

Is that Delco 440 wire a copper core wire? If so it will work fine.
Wires with a synthetic core are resistance wires and not really needed.
Leo

Yes, 7mm copper core

I was told by the guy who gave them to me to use non-resistor plug caps, so that is another question I have.
Just figured I would use them if they worked instead of buying other stuff.

Some of us use 5k ohm caps with non-resister plugs or 0k ohm caps with resister plugs.
I use 5k ohm caps with non-resister plugs.
Leo

That would depend on your ignition. With points, you don't need any resistance. With an electronic ignition, you would want one instance of it, either the plug, plug cap, or plug wires. But you don't want to double or triple it up, just one item having resistance in the "chain". Most of us do it with the plug cap, using a 5K ohm NGK cap.

Thanks. That's what I figured. I have a TCI on one and points on the other and a new dual output (in the box0 with no wires. So I figured I put wires in it in case my '81 coil goes bad.
I have some NGK plugs, but not sure if they are 5K ohm or not. Stud type caps.
I've always used the 5K.

Thanks for the help.

You can determine whether or not the plugs are the resistor type by their letter/number part number. The standard plug for these is the BP7ES NGK. This is a non-resistor plug. The resistor version would be a BPR7ES.

If you wanted to, you could use non-resistor caps on your points model. NGK makes a very nice one, the LZFH. It is smaller and more compact than the resistor caps .....

NGKLZFH.jpg

Sorry, meant caps. Not sure if my caps are NR.
I'll check the size.
I only use the BP7ES.

On a side note. I remember my friend always stating that the "R" on the plugs meant "racing". Lol

The caps should have a part number stenciled on the side but it can get worn off in time. The one we use most frequently is the LB05F. The "F" at the end designates the terminal stud type. I like them better as I think they grip the plug better. If the number's gone, you can measure the resistance through them with your multi-meter. NGK also makes 1K ohm caps

NGKLB05.jpg

Here's the LZFH non-resistor and LB05 resistor caps compared. The LZFH caps are much smaller and compact. I highly recommend them if you have points. The stock points coils aren't very strong so there's no need to choke off any of the little power they have with added resistance .....

LZFH.jpg

LB05F.jpg

I like to warm the last 1/2" of the wire before screwing it on the plug terminal, to make it easier on the terminal. A cheap, reliable, easily available coil for your TCI ignition is a Honda MP08.

Back