Delkevik 2 into 1

Im restoring a 1975 XS650 for my brother and it has a 2 into 1 system that I believe to be MAC. The construction of the metal is very very thin and light. The bike is missing its centerstand and I wonder if it had to be removed for the exhaust. Anyway on that bike I want to go with stockish duals but on my XS650 I wouldnt mind the 2 into 1 mentioned in this thread.

Nice system for folks who like to go slow when it's time to turn right; the Mac 2-1 is bad that way, but the Delkevic looks even worse if I'm looking at the photo right.

You're absolutely right, Griz. I am personally aware of two instances where guys had flat track replica exhausts and crashed in right hand turns when they hit a depression in the road that compressed the suspension to the point where the pipe(s) dragged and then lifted the rear wheel so traction was lost. In both cases the riders claimed they weren't leaned over all that much.
Even if you are carefully riding with full awareness of the lean angle limitation, what happens if you are faced with a situation requiring emergency avoidance? Dogs, kids, cars can be anywhere, and we know they're all out to get us.
Raising the bike's ride height, tucking in the exhaust as much as possible, 19" rims, etc. can all help. Otherwise, these systems can be just a crash waiting to happen.

Not to mention the difficulty of tuning the carbs for a 2-1. Most are designed to fit on the bike in question with little consideration given to proper pipe lengths, diameters, etc. Performance often suffers because of this compared to a normal 2 into 2 exhaust.

Back