Dies after 10 to 15 minutes of riding

:wtf:Ill clean the connectors tomorrow. Today I pulled the tank and drained a full tank of fuel into a gas can with the cap tight as I could get it. Flowed just fine ,reserve and ON.
I pulled my ignition box. its been almost falling open loose for a while. Usually these elect gadgets are glued up so tight you destoy them trying to open it. I dont shit about this level of elec. (diodes, resisters) Looks kinds messed up in there to me. These arent the best pics (iphone) but to me it looks like theres been a flow of something? Can you tell anything from these. I guess Im surprised that there seems to be no consensous, no "Oh yea! You got the dying engine 12-15 minutes after startup issue that won't start till it cools, otherwise everything runs great, that was figured out 27 yrs ago, change this and your good" Instead we're all over the map on this.:banghead:

Attachments

• IMG_1400.jpg
    IMG_1400.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_1399.jpg
    IMG_1399.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_1396.jpg
    IMG_1396.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_1394.jpg
    IMG_1394.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_1392.jpg
    IMG_1392.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 177
That symptom is sometimes corrosion somewhere in the spark lead/coil connectors. Especially if you spark plug boots are the removable type, water likes to get in the end and corrode the hell out of the copper wire. Remove the leads from the coils if they're removable, pull the boots off the other end and have a look at the copper in the lead. If its dark rough it up bright and shiny again. If they look like green fuzzy pipe cleaners you can try cutting them back an inch to get to fresh copper.

Clean all the copper bits in the boots and all the coil connectors and lead terminals with a small file or twist of sand paper and reinstall them.

The coil itself can be the problem too but cleaning connectors is free so try it first.

Checked the coil n wires, wires looked pretty bad, hadly had any of the few strands remaining, cut em back cleaned ouy the caps. I feel pretty stupid but.... with a new battery I had been excluding that until why ckecking connections to everything I see my new batt is holdind just over 10V,one cell has lost 1/2 of its fluid that I recently filled it with after buying it. Took it back to AutoZone, told the guy it was probably bad and why, he said "I still have to put it on the charger, give me your # and I'll let ya know what I find out. When you sold it to me you said you coulnt charge motorcycle batterys and I got a new uncharged batt. Now you can hug? After 4 hrs and no call I returned and he said it was bad. "So did you put a new one on the charger for me?
No, why would I do that? I got my battery, I'll never drop a dollar at AutoZone again.
I hope that was the problem and not a symptom of it. Thanks, I'll let you know.

I would also look at the shaft that runs you ignition you can pull it out and lube it with molly grease. I had a problem with mine it would die when it got hot, I pulled the shaft out cleaned it up and greased it.

mine ended up being a bad TCI. i'll put money on this being your issue. those are exactly the same symptoms mine had. it ran fine when it was cold but once it heated up after 15 minutes or so it would take a shit. im assuming some all of the old circuitry would expand and not make the proper connections anymore or rattle loose. this is actually a very common problem on these bikes. 30+ year old electronics have been surpassed by newer better technology. anyway, Pamco ignition swap totally did the trick! felt like it had a little more ass to it too. gotta love that hall effect! Hope this helps.

The op said he has the Pamco ignition, He ran it for awhile, had problems changed the coil and still has problems. So those who are asking about TCI boxes and condensers should reread the thread.
I'm just guessing here but it could be carbs. If you put pod filters on and cut off the exhaust, did you rejet the carbs to match? If so it could be overheating from being to rich or to lean. Once it gets so hot as to run poorly it takes a long time to cool off enough to run again.
To the OP when it quits you say it has no spark. At this point you could check the see if the coil is getting voltage. No voltage = no spark This could be from several things. The weak connections at the coil are one. A weak connection anywhere in the ignition circuit can do this. Dirty burnt contacts in the engine stop switch or key switch.
Check all these things.
I just reread this thread to be sure I didn't miss something. I did. In post #15 he said the ignition plate was the problem.
Leo

I had the same problem on my other bike. I went through all sorts, including replacing the Boyer and coil. It turned out to be the plug wires. They looked fine and weren't that old! Lesson learnt! :)

First off, I need to appologise to you guys. I read somewhere in here that hotmail wasnt workin and if I wanted a response to change it. I did so to an icloud that came w/iphone. But.. Forgot and never checked that one. After cutting back the badly worn plug wires and throwin in a new batt all was good. Glad my bid on the ign box on flea bay didnt win! I made a manimeter, sync the recently installed BS 38's and went one up on pilots n mains. Wasnt totally there yet but pretty happy, for a minute. I cant seem to run 2 days in a row good. Everyday something breaks, cracks or shorts. Blazin dwn the 405 in LA and tottal shutdown, no lghts, nuthin. The old stock key swt rattled apart and contacts seperated. Fixed it. Blinkers have vibrated apart, bulbs popped, wires break. Was havin a good day (at 3 am) when I had to u it bk to frds cuz it was goin to shit. A few hrs later determined the key swt hot wire bad connect. Fixed I was headin hm at sunup. Fuckin shift linkage on fwrd control fell apart on frwy. Elect tape and zip-ties got me home. Next day flasher unit broke, re-soldered a black round thing on circuit brd, all good. Today, missin at upper mid-range under accelleration. I can cruize at 60 but try to pass or speed up and its balkin like an old cow. Im thinkin loose wire somewhere. Yea, its a hardtail, at least after fixin things they dont re-brake. Ive dampened everything. Seems like fuel issues and elect issues all act the same. Getting tired man and summers bein spent wrenchin. Started diggin in bk in Jan so this wouldnt happen, yet. :)

Posted via Mobile

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 195
Im sure your right. I AM getting very familiar with the bike and Im sure things are gonna stabilize at some point. Thanx

Posted via Mobile

Back