Diesel's XS650

They might have the same problem we have around here.
People seem to like to try out the paint in the store before buying.:wtf: is that all about.
I even one day stood there a watched a guy around 25 to 30 years old just spray paint I guess to find the color he wanted.

Sounds good Man, Good job :thumbsup:
Man I gotta get my new shop going and get back to work, question, is that a room in the house? I was renting from my sister and she somehow found out I was working on a bike in the house and she flipped! It was actually pretty funny. :laugh: i said it wasnt in the lease that i could'nt :D

Nice bike! And your dog is not too scared either :)

How can you kick it like that? On mine if I don't put my whole weight on it it wont move. Heck, if I catch it just around TDC I'll just jump up and the kicker will stay there, pretty embarrassing.

DJ: That's my garage. It was used as a bedroom when I bought the place hence the curtains. The ac is a necessity to survive the Alabama summers.

Maurice: Its got 52xxx miles on it. I think that's most if it... I just slowly push it till I know its in the right spot then just kick it thru..

Putting some miles on this thing. Workin out the bugs....

ne6y3a2a.jpg

Love turning brass!!

sa8y4yzy.jpg

Turned another boss/washer for the shock mounting bolts.

ma3ununa.jpg

7egeqega.jpg

yvu8a6eb.jpg

Hey Diesel, since you love turning Brass, could i convince you to turn me a couple 1 off risers if i send you some 2" brass rod stock, or have some shipped to you and i would pay you something for your time, just a couple 3" tall or so, for 7/8" handlenbars your imagination risers? I'd give you some basic specs and you could make an extra maybe $50 or so for your time. just a thought

Hey Diesel, since you love turning Brass, could i convince you to turn me a couple 1 off risers if i send you some 2" brass rod stock, or have some shipped to you and i would pay you something for your time, just a couple 3" tall or so, for 7/8" handlenbars your imagination risers? I'd give you some basic specs and you could make an extra maybe $50 or so for your time. just a thought

I would a absolutely love to!! But alas, my machining skills aren't up to it:( I've been thinking of attempting some risers but haven't got the nerve up yet... My trouble is with the cross drilled hole for the bars... I could probably do it with the tools that I have but to be very precise I'd need a mill (on my wish list) Once I get my bandsaw up and running and buy the new 3 jaw chuck I've been wanting for my lathe I'm going to give it a whirl tho..

Is it any wonder it wasn't charging??

e8e9e9em.jpg

It's charging better now. Raises the volts about 2.5-3 volts when running.

I plan to run these wheels on this bike. The front rim is warped so I need to lace the good rim on. I've never done this so if anyone has tips, tricks, or advice please share..

rygusame.jpg

3y4amevy.jpg

tupuva4y.jpg

Hey, Diesel. Well, this is one of my old tricks. I'll lace it up, inside spokes only, then true/snug on those inside spokes. When happy with the true, lace up the outers, then fine-tune/finalize true/snug on those outers. Less complicated, gets to true faster...

Thanks TwoMany!! That's the kinda tips I need. Everyone says Youtube but duh, I did that first..

On another note, when I changed my brushes I noticed that my alternator has the later brush mount so I don't have to run the nylon screw mod...

On your earlier post, you have a real nice pic of your battery box. The weld shows the 'interrupted' weld bead used by experienced welders. Can you give any backround on the use of the interruped weld?

Not really no... I'm a self taught garage hack. I don't have any formal training. Reason I use the interrupted weld is because in my experience it holds as well or better than a continuous without the warping...

Last edited:
I finally rode this bike home. It made the six miles fine and seems to be charging great!! I swapped out the bars and got the rear fender mocked up. I filled in the holes on the fender the other day...

ypumuda3.jpg

uzejyne4.jpg

bejymyva.jpg

I welded on a new rear mount tab on my tank.

ju9ypuhu.jpg

Back