Diesel's XS650

I've been working at getting this bike together. Didn't really like the lines the bike had with the tank mounted like it was, so I made new front mounts and raised the front.

ure4evuq.jpg

uzy6azyv.jpg

I made some mounts and mounted a fender. I used the ribbed fender that came on my 81 xs. It was (is) a piece of scrap metal with a rib. I used a piece of shaped pine 2x4 in my vise and a hammer to roll the edge and put a lip on the rear. It still looks terrible but it's better than nothing.

udumu5e8.jpg

5u9uzuhu.jpg

ruvesa7a.jpg

y2aza5ej.jpg

I washed it and took steel wool to the wheels. I've been riding it almost daily. It needs the carbs dialed in and I just got the jets for it so when I get the time in going to check the cam chain, advance, and then try to get the carbs jetted and synced.

uru2equs.jpg

I swapped my old clutch lever and cable for a hydraulic setup I got from Hugh's Handbuilt. It was a pretty painless install requiring only tapping of the cable entry hole to mount the slave cylinder. I bled it and it's working great! I trimmed and polished the cover while I had it off. I also out the front brake off of my other xs on which is a nice mini master cylinder with a stainless line.

bu6ynu6u.jpg

jysa4a4y.jpg

venahu2y.jpg

eby4ada7.jpg

a8apyrah.jpg

edy3ysaq.jpg

ydanedat.jpg

7ujyte6e.jpg

yre3usyh.jpg

Back