Different stock specs in Canada?

Kurt

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I just discovered, much to my surprise, that my '78 SE has a 36 tooth rear sprocket. The manuals I have say that 34t is standard in the US. Can I assume that other countries had different sized rear sprockets standard? Does anyone know if 36 teeth was what stock 650s sold with in Canada? I've noticied a few other oddities on mine, for example my bike has an electro-mechanical regulator, even though supposedly all specials sold with the solid state regulator.

Are there any resources for finding out the stock specs on non-US models?

Check back into Canadian motorcycle mags from the day?:D

A Canada dealer's repair manual should have all the correct specs.

Kurt;

My 78 Special had the 36 rear sprocket as well.................that's how they came in Canada. Definitely too low a gearing, unless you like to drag race from red light to red light. Some riders drop down to a 30 in the rear to lower the rpm's. I use a 33 now, because its a good compromise...........a bit like the goldylocks story............not to high, not to low..............ah, just right.

XS650's all came with the mechanical relay type regulator up to and including 1979. In 1980 it changed to solid state combined rectifier/regulator.

If you like reliability, best to replace the mechanical regulator with an automotive NOS regulator. Also a good idea to replace the old rectifier that lives under the battery box.

Back