Digital Speedometer / Tachometer

_XSesive_

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has ever used a digital dash like this one, (this unit is a Trail Tech Vapor). I kind of really like this model ( especially for the price 85$ to 110$ on Amazon) and would like to know if anyone has any installation tips they can share. My main concern is that you can buy this computer for quite a variety of bikes but none of them are the XS650, and the price varies by about 25$ so I don't want to spend more than I need too and I want to make sure the version I get is compatible with my bike. Anyone with any experience with this unit or any digital dash conversion, your input would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• digital spedo.jpg
    digital spedo.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 742
Hey, _XSesive_, welcome to the forum.
There were several posts on that gadget, I'm interested as well.
Try forum search "vapor", should find those posts...

That unit is universal, although some vendors may offer plug-and-play wiring for it. Most inexpensive digital gauges will present issues with erratic tach readings due to electrical interference. The cure is a 2 megohm resistor in the tach signal line as close to the instrument as you can conveniently splice it in.

Hey XSesive, I just ordered and wired one in. Was super easy.

I ordered version# : 75-200 (silver) which is the version for "97-04 YZ's"

Mine came with speedo magnet cable, tach wire, and engine temp sensor (which I did not use). You will probably need to fabricate a bracket for where the speedo cable magnet pickup attaches below your caliper, I can take a photo of mine this weekend. A magnetic bolt replaces one of your bolts holding on the rotor that passes by within a 1/2" of your pickup to get speed. Set your wheel size on the unit and good to go. It comes with new bolt with a magnet to replace one in your rotors but it likely too small as it is for a modern YZ. I actually already had a rotor bolt with a magnet in the head from a previous electrnoic speedo I had. You'll probably need to pull out a rotor bolt and dimple it with a drill on the head to slip in the magnet flush.

Tach is easy, it has instructions but is basically a pos/neg cable - ground the neg, and the red wire splices into a wire off your coil.

At first my RPMs were a bit erratic but I think turned out to be a bad fuse.. replaced and it has been really smooth ever since. I'm going to consider what Grizld1 said and may splice in a 2 megohm resistor on the tach signal line close to the vapor.

It comes with a simple bar mount, or you can easily fabricate your own bracket out of some aluminum or something that mounts it a bit lower / flush.

So far I really enjoy it - it can be powered by its internal battery or wire it up to your bike's battery/main power for maximum LCD brightness (recommended). I enjoy the RPM visual display, and it also has an option/mode to show the actual exact RPM rather than the visual.. I was very happy when I switched to that mode as saw my bike hold a very stead 1180-1220 RPM idle.

The dashboard accessory is also very neat, and is basically just some LED bulbs with wires and plastic lenses.. you wire them up however your accessory needs. My only complaint was that the LED bulb wires led to a plug - from 8 wires to 6 - they double up on the negative wire for each pair of the bulb on either side (4 bulbs total). This means that if a switch uses the negative (like a neutral light) it can't be using the same ground as the highbeam indicator light (which uses the positive to make the switch). A bit confusing, but I found my own solution with some combinations.

Thanks a lot Maxx, that is some great info that will come in very handy when I go to install this unit on my bike, first I need to finish this seat I'm building, I have a bunch of pics and will start a new thread for that :)

>Most inexpensive digital gauges will present issues with erratic tach readings due to electrical interference. The cure is a 2 megohm resistor in the tach signal line as close to the instrument as you can conveniently splice it in.

Thanks for this tip, Grizld1; I've been happy with my Vapor for a three years and 13,000 miles, and the erratic tach has been my only complaint. Should have asked earlier, I guess...

Back