Dipstick boke; part is "down there"

Me, personally, I think I would make the effort to try and recover the broken off piece.
Here is the end of your dipstick, right here sticking into the starter gear case.
26390FF3-F5FA-40E9-835B-034FECD0E40B.jpeg

If you’re lucky it simply will be laying in the bottom of that case, it’s a simple matter to pull that cover and look, you might have to replace the gasket if it tears on you.

If it’s not in there, then hopefully it’s down by the drain plugs, maybe even stuck to one of the magnets. I’d pull the sump plate and take a look around. All it will cost to do a little looking is some oil and gaskets. You could save yourself some trouble. My 2 cents.

Not from the book per say, he might have used them, but he posted 40 odd pics of the cut away and some others of the open motor in a thread or link, can't remember exactly, which of course i downloaded.

If you want them PM me your email address and i will send them

Thanks for the replies everyone! I'll just take off the cover and check in there. I would much rather not shred gears haha.

I'm really hoping that it will show up on the magnetic oil drain plug and make my life that much easier. I'm Iot holding my breath on that though. That would be too easy!

Got it out! Fishied around Abit more with the magnet and had no luck. As soon as I popped open the starter gear cover it fell out into my hand. Woohoo! Also, no need to replace the gasket as it was in perfect condition! Woohoo again!

Congratulations! Good save!

Excellent - don’t you love it when a simple fix happens!

Pete

I Do!

Congratulations! Good save!

Thanks!

I'd smear a touch of Hylomar or other sealant on ONE side of gasket, watch that top bolt that also holds the shift shaft cover it's easy to strip, a slightly longer than stock bolt in that position works, 25mm? IIRC.

I don't have any ATM or I would have. I'll probably go back and add some later on. I have a buuuunch of cleaning to do under that left side cover. Caked on gunk from a leaky pushrod seal. I'll be swapping out the seal and putting in the one piece pushrod later on.

As far as the shift shaft cover goes, I'm not sure what you're talking about. All I had to do was take 6 bolts out and pop the starter gear cover off and I was in. Am I missing something that should be there?

Here’s the one on my XS2, it is supposed to have a rubber wear pad on it that was missing. You can see how the chain has sawed into it. If that wasn’t there, it would be your shift shaft taking the hit. You could probably find a used one on EBay. There are several motorcycle wrecking yards on there. You might even place a wanted ad in our classified section.

C988E28D-333B-42BF-9536-839271787DB3.jpeg
4CA49DFC-A2A0-4F4B-9C59-15164F7B8C76.jpeg
61895BBE-BA1D-49F6-9E6E-CB0BDED0A374.jpeg

Here’s the one on my XS2, it is supposed to have a rubber wear pad on it that was missing. You can see how the chain has sawed into it. If that wasn’t there, it would be your shift shaft taking the hit. You could probably find a used one on EBay. There are several motorcycle wrecking yards on there. You might even place a wanted ad in our classified section.

View attachment 143820 View attachment 143821 View attachment 143822

Oh cool, ok! Thanks for the info! I'll keep an eye out for one!

Man, everytime I see a sparkly clean XS motor, I get slightly disgusted with mine and want to tear it all apart just to clean it hahaha. Definitely not that simple though. :umm:

Back