Dipstick boke; part is "down there"

Just one last thing I'm hoping someone can help me with as I put things back together. I'm on the left side now, got the starter gear cover back on and am trying to put the left side engine cover back on.

I pulled the clutch cable through and inserted it into the holder:

IMG_4567_zpse7bfcfd0.jpg

And then put the cover back on, trying first to do a "dry run" w/out gasket to make sure things work, but when I pull the clutch lever, it feels very soft, and it doesn't spring back. There's too much cable play, as if it were too long, but I didn't do anything special, just removed the cable from the holder / sping when I took the cover off. Am I missing something? At the clutch lever area, the cable is fully inserted as it was when I began.

Also: I'm assuming that the rod that sticks out, need to go into the hole by the spring on the back of the cover. That rod seems to pull out easy, should it be pushed all the way in?

IMG_4569_zpsc12b0868.jpg

Thanks...I'm getting close to getting back...to where I started : )

Look through this thread http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26414

Note arm location with no cable and check to see if the "ball" is in the hole.

Looks like the arm is installed one "slot" off.

Arm location with no cable looks similar, and the ball is there.

Looks like the arm is installed one "slot" off.

Could you elaborate? I'm not sure what you mean by one slot off. To me they look the same, but I do notice that my spring seems a bit stretched compared to yours from the post you referred to. Here's that one:

View attachment 28143

Here's mine:
IMG_4570_zpsd55fddd6.jpg

I didn't remove the spring, I didn't make any adjustments to the arm so I'm just wondering if I'm missing something simple because the clutch lever worked ok before I removed the case.

Arm location with no cable looks similar, and the ball is there.

Could you elaborate? I'm not sure what you mean by one slot off. To me they look the same, but I do notice that my spring seems a bit stretched compared to yours from the post you referred to. Here's that one:

View attachment 28143

Here's mine:
IMG_4570_zpsd55fddd6.jpg

I didn't remove the spring, I didn't make any adjustments to the arm so I'm just wondering if I'm missing something simple because the clutch lever worked ok before I removed the case.

Before you insert the arm, it should be at round about 3 o' clock position, and once it is fully down, it should be at the 7 o' clock position. Took me ages to get this right!!:doh:

With the cover off while "wrestling the cable off" it's possible to over pull the arm and get one spline off in the ramps. Compare the pics again, the spring should not be stretched like that. The arm should resting right where it is in my pics. Remove your spring twist the arm out, clean and grease the splines reinstall until it sits where it does in my pic, reinstall spring. Note that with a two piece clutch rod there should be a ball between the two sections of push rod.

With the cover off while "wrestling the cable off" it's possible to over pull the arm and get one spline off in the ramps. Compare the pics again, the spring should not be stretched like that. The arm should resting right where it is in my pics. Remove your spring twist the arm out, clean and grease the splines reinstall until it sits where it does in my pic, reinstall spring. Note that with a two piece clutch rod there should be a ball between the two sections of push rod.

In my pic, the spring is not under any tension. In fact, there's some play in the movement of the arm--I can move the arm about half an inch before tension is felt on the spring. I can service the arm as you point out, but I'm wondering if the spring itself is simply stretched.

I guess I missed the one was my pic, second was your pic, yeah your arm is in the right place in this pic;

IMG_4570_zpsd55fddd6.jpg

Spring's a bit stretched but no big deal.

Why is the arm so far over in this pic? That's what made me think it was off a spline.

IMG_4567_zpse7bfcfd0.jpg

Peanut made a Youtube video of clutch worm servicing, found in this post:

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showpost.php?p=318983&postcount=19

If you're really curious, have a lot of time, and a bottle of aspirins, you could grunt thru this:

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31554

Twomany, thanks for the links. The video made me wonder about the condition of the spring on mine, too loose / stretched out? There's about 1/2 inch of play before spring tension is felt.

http://s258.photobucket.com/user/pdedse/media/MVI_4574_zpse8dcd142.mp4.html

I think something's off with your cable if it pulls the arm up that much when connected.

Clutch perch...you mean at the lever or where the housing feeds into the case? Sorry, the terminology at times.

Finally got the LH cover back on and clutch lever to work correctly. Loosened adjusters at the lever and serviced / lubed the ramp as described in a prior post--thanks! Reattached the arm as prescribed, adjuster screw as well. Seems to work fine, lever is easy to pull in, neutral isn't hard to find. Clicks nicely into gear, back to neutral.

But...when I was putting the LH cover back on I noticed that this little piece (not the penny) fell from the generator cover opening area:

IMG_3277_zps65aab269.jpg

Any idea what it is? Something valuable? Could it be related in any way to the issue below?

After getting everything buttoned down, ran the bike for a good 10 minutes when the idle started surging to about 4000rmp, if I put in first and start moving forward then the rpm comes back down, but it doesn't want to hold idle speed at 1200 like it would before, it wants to surge. Didn't have this issue before opening up LH and RH engine case covers. I know the carbs need work, and I'm looking at other threads regarding idle surge/racing, so I'll double check idle speed, throttle cable routing, air leaks at carb area, but that little rectangular piece that fell on to the floor--???

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27569&highlight=idle+racing

Commonly called trash. Throwaway or keep till you find a use for it.

:) Ok, that's funny. I thought a good use for it would be to put it back where it was supposed to go, it looking so nice and rectangular made me think it was something.

A bit of an old thread but, this happened to me today. Checked my oil, put the dipstick back in and felt a tiny bit of resistance and like an idiot turned it alittle more but not very much. When I pulled it out the tip of the dipstick was snapped off.

*Insert explitive here*

I tried fishing it out with a magnet but no dice. I haven't tried pulling the starter cover thing off to find it and I really don't want to but will if absolutely necessary.

My question is, could this get sucked up into anything in the engine or transmission of I just leave it be?

Back