Do I need a top motor mount?

Nike- Just do it. :)

Hardtails are dangerous. No signals are dangerous. No mirrors can be dangerous, no front brake is dangerous. Suicide & shifters jockey are dangerous. Welding a frame with flux core is dangerous. Riding a motorcycle is dangerous. Dirt bike tires are dangerous.

The trend is, people like dangerous things! I say go for it and deal with the consequences.

Do you have any proof of this statement? Or are you just assuming?

I personally value the opinions of those who have experience with the topic at hand... Thanks to those who have experience with this and have answered, I was on the fence about my top mount, but you just convinced me to toss it. Thanks:thumbsup:

Benjamoid.....I read your post and quote above as accusatory and casting aspersions on one of the more knowledgeable, helpful and experienced XS 650 (and many other bikes) guru's on this and other sites. Moreover, his post didn't tell you not to run without a top mount. Just what the new strain factor of doing so could subject the cylinder studs to. Might want to do a little homework on Jayel and zip it a bit re the cheap shots.

You'll go a long way to find someone more experienced and judicious in their advice and comment. Nor one now less likely to profer much of it in your direction.

You are definitely barking up the wrong tree in this case. Blue

ps...I agree with Beau above as well...."The trend is, people like dangerous things! I say go for it and deal with the consequences. "

I don't know.. I could go either way with Benjamoid's questions. They could have been legit or smart ass, hard to tell.

I wasnt trying to start anything, or questioning jayels xs knowledge. I was simply asking if he had any proof of that particular statement. I know I followed it with a statement that may have made it sound like I was being a dick, I was just expressing that there seemed to be a lot of "well I think____" statements in this thread with people who didnt mention any experience on the subject.

Btw: You could also think about it in the opposite sense, since the top of the motor is not attached to anything it will move freely within the frame and not put stress on the studs...

Opinions on what could or could not happen if people do things never really get anywhere. I value rear world experience when it comes to questions I have. And from all the comments in this thread so far I have not seen one actuall account where not running a upper motor mount caused harm to bike or rider...

It's going to depend on how often you run it up past 6k rpm. If you're going to do that regularly, then you're going to have issues. if you don't, then it's not a big deal. The engine really doesn't generate any *real* vibrations until 5500 or so. and you can ride it all day long on the highway without reaching that, even with the stock 17/34.

thanks for the back up blue :laugh: No I can't say for certain about the yammie jacking the head off but I know the old harleys would, a bit different bolt arrangement, cylinders bolted to motor cases then heads to cylinders but if you want to do away with the head brace by all means do so.

When they race an XS650 do they remove the top engine mount? If they leave it in why do they do that if there is no difference?

From what I have read, most race bikes don't run them for ease of repairs. BUT, a lot of them have modified or custom built frames.

oh oh oh I think I can help !

I saw this bobber, and they did not have the Box(top of engine) mount, they made a bracket propper for the top of it (the engine), that curved towards the two down tubes (frame) and mounted there.... leaving the engine with a clean look under the tank.

It looked pretty darn clean for sure. K ?

just thought I'd pop that in here.

IMG_1734.jpg

It is actually a member on the ChopCult.... I am doing something very similar but figured I would post it since its so clean

Back