Do I need the headlight safety relay and resistor?

650Fool

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello electrical system gurus!

So... I was putting the overhauled engine back into a stock '77 D using the "dump the frame over the engine then pick it all up off the floor" method. While working the engine into the frame, I smeared what I think is a resistor off it's mounting spot below and at the front end of the coils. Broke the wires off at the soldering points too :doh: (I do know better, but sometimes the Do part doesn't get done). One wire is black/yellow, the other is yellow, and they end in a two-prong plug. I checked the resistor for continuity only and got current both ways. The tabs where the wires attached were bent but the resistor case is otherwise undamaged, so I think I can re-solder the wires.

In looking thorugh the forum, I found some info you all were kind enough to post (Thank you!). While the resistor seems to be part of the headlight safety relay system, and the system seems to be "optional", I don't really know what the consequences of running the bike without the resistor are in terms of frying any other needed and desired parts. I ask because, although I will resolder the wires and reconnect the resistor, I don't know what might happen if the resistor really is damaged (I think I can also use the resistor from a 400 as a cheap replacement).

Incidently, I do plan to do Pete's mod for the alternator out warning light, so how/why Yamaha decided when the headlight should be on and off won't really apply (night - light on, day - light on). If you haven't guessed by now, I know enough about electrical systems to occasionally avoid shocking myself. I AM interested, but just don't have the time to learn from scratch.

My apologies for bringing this subject up if it's clearly posted already. And... any help (snappy comments included!) will be sincerely appreciated! :bike:

On the 77, the light checker, resister and reserve lighting unit worked together so if the low beam burned out the high beam would light up powered through the resister. This would light the high beam at about half as bright as it is as a high beam.
You can remove the resister, and the reserve lighting unit. In the plug for the reserve lighting unit put a jumper from the blue/black to the yellow/blue wires.
This bypasses the reserve lighting unit so if the low beam burns out the high beam won't light up in it's place.
Leo

Back