Don't be a stranger.. Say hi!

WannabeMike96

xs650 birdbox challenge. help me.
Reaction score
Hey there XS community! This is my first post and my first forum that I’ve ever participated on! (Big deal for me)
I’ve been searching this forum a lot and got tons of spot on information and links to even more information, you guys really know your shit, it’s awesome.
I’m just a dude trying to get my time on two wheels! (Who isn’t?!) Most of the shit I do is on my own, very blue collar, down and dirty type. I like to learn and do. I like to think that if someone else can do it then so can I. Right? Not only to save some of my hard earned cash but to also learn a valuable lesson. I wanted to ask questions in this post but I’m going to just leave it as an introduction and post my questions separately.

Here’s a little bit about myself.

Im Mike, 22 years old and a proud Local 1087 glazier for NYC. Born and raised in Suffolk County on Long Island. Recently moved out from my parents house to be closer to work and to grow the fu*k up!
I love everything old (cars, motorcycles, bicycles, etc.)
I got an ‘88 BMW 325i, ‘80 Harley Shovelhead, and my new ‘78 xs650. (not going to list what i've had)
I'll try to upload some photos of my investments!
I do all of the maintenance and repairs for my toys on my own (to an extent).
Coming up on a 5 year relationship with a beautiful woman that I will soon marry (she supports me and all of my hobbies.. Most of the time lol)

I’m really excited to ask questions and participate in other threads with all the knowledge and lessons I will learn. Just looking through all the posts I can see you guys are a fine community with an incredible amount of info!

Well thats it about me guys, say whatsup and where you're from!
I'd like to see some of your stallions so post photos too!

Welcome, you've certainly come to the right place to learn about working on your 650. This is a great old bike, easy to work on, and very good to learn on. You'll learn all sorts of "old school" stuff like how to adjust valves and how to set timing and points. Believe me, in today's day and age, lots of this stuff is becoming a lost art, lol. Many shops won't even work on these (actually they don't know how, lol) so it's best you learn at least how to maintain it yourself. Being an older machine (and design), it's going to require more maintenance than a newer bike, more frequent oil changes too because of the crude filtering system.

Welcome to the forum. For your first forum membership you chose well. This community is like no other. I call it a community because it is just that. Folks sharing and helping fellow enthusiasts stay on the road. The camaraderie here is nothing short of amazing. Some things to expect here though... first and foremost... we like pictures!!! Lol. Second, while there is a wealth of knowledge here about these bikes be sure and do your research before asking a lot of questions. We are all happy to help, but most questions have been addressed and solved in other posts, so use the search bar. Sometimes you may not get a direct answer, but rather directed to another thread that can answer your question or issues. I’ve not found another forum group quite like this one. Dig in and have some fun.

These are my toys, all brought back from the dead (not the xs yet!)
‘88 BMW 325i
93B21EF3-CEFB-467E-B21E-D92544B1783F.jpeg
‘80 harley shovelhead, rebuilt motor twice (3rd time was professionally done lol) I pieced it together 100% (only thing “stock” from when I bought it is the back wheel and headlight HAHA!)
27E39365-9E95-4869-A0B8-478D88532FE9.jpeg
F91525B6-C3B4-4718-ADBB-2730F0DC14DE.jpeg
and than this thing, a lot of plans running through my mind for it. Killer deal on it, 1 owner, clean title, nothing missing at all! (I changed the bars to MX bars immediately) (I got it running but needs a lot of fine tuning)
48D297C4-3CA4-41A7-B78E-808B4D3D575E.jpeg
75FEAFF1-D6D3-41CE-B6FB-452983CB3DAA.jpeg
0A764B3F-AB5A-44E9-8F0D-8DAA6A12832F.jpeg

I plan on doing some minor period correct enduro dual sport modifications to the xs, all around dependability to get me through anything comfortably!

Post what you guys are workin with!

Welcome wanabemike96,

Just wow......Excellent introduction........are you sure your 22 and not 32........all the vehicles you have and in a 5 year relationship.......:whistle:

Won't get better advice than here, one thing i will add to Willis's comments..........don't buy anything for your bike before asking first......there are different vendors and some obscure ones. Sometimes cheapest is not the best and other time it doesn't matter so much.

Did any one mention, we cant read so well and love pics.......These bike can have a lot of parts that swap from model to model and being 40 odd years the is a very good chance that may have happened.........Pics and you will get every one falling over each other trying to outdo each other in pointing out what you have or haven't......not much gets missed.........often the bike is thought to be a year when it can be a later model, the production run was from Aug to July so an August to December 78 is a 79........Also there were 2 models in 78, a Special and Standard, and 3 in 79 2 specials and 1 Standard.........Did we say pics:laugh:

Last edited:
CC82894E-929D-40C3-89B7-FE0F6E625A57.jpeg
Posted the pics while i was writing..............Nice looking bike, 78SE.........I love the early specials, still have a standard look about them, (with the lower bars), and are still in the metal stage before bikes and cars went all plastic.

I had to change the bars and remove the markers immediately to be able to move it around my parents garage easily (or cause I hated both lol)

Don'r forget........although the signals are not the most aesthetic things on the bike, others on the road have a better chance knowing and seeing what your doing.......Enough hazards on the roads these days with the "didn't see the bike while texting" crowd......

Don'r forget........although the signals are not the most aesthetic things on the bike, others on the road have a better chance knowing and seeing what your doing.......Enough hazards on the roads these days with the "didn't see the bike while texting" crowd......

Most definitely! Need to get prettier looking signals, she’s gotta purr before any of that cosmetic stuff!

Welcome to the mad house Mike, I think you’re gonna fit right in! :thumbsup: You are starting with a bike that looks to be in good original condition.
CAF9883A-CECF-497C-83DB-2967F451B696.jpeg
I like your can do attitude. I look forward to seeing you around the forum. Oh and by the way, if you’ve found a girl that’ll put up with your hobbies, you better marry that girl! :laugh2:
-Bob

Back