down shifting

Luckydog

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 83 with about 9,000 miles on it. Once in first I can work up through the gears fine, but when downshifting 2nd and 1st are really hard to find and sometimes it just wont engage. Any tips, tricks or adjustments are appreciated.

Could be something as simple as the retention clip on the shiftshaft. The action of the foot on the shifter can cause a slight inward or outward force. Shoving the shifter to the right can cause the shifter claws to foul-up their engagement with the shiftdrum pins. Grab the shifter near the shiftshaft, and push/pull the thing. Shouldn't be more than a millimeter. Any more, then check that clip.

Then there's the neutral detente. Easy to check, see if its spring is bent.

Or, it could be something worse, requiring access to the shifting contrivances behind the clutch.
Search for threads with "starwheel" to see what's involved...

Thanks Two Many. Just checked the end play and there was nothing. In fact, pushing the shift lever up and down there was a bit of drag and didn't want to spring back. Hmmm. I'll check the transmission/clutch section. Thanks for your help.

After looking into it a little more I noticed the shifter was not returning after stepping down on it. Up shifting seemed to be fine and would retrurn. Any thoughts on this before start taking things apart?
Thanks.

the spring on the clutch side at the end of the shift shaft isn't connected. openr'er up and have a look.

Well, you could luck out on this one.
Should be at least a little bit of in/out play with that shifter shaft.
Otherwise, it could bind just like you're saying.

Probably should pull the left cover, have a look. See if there's any binding on the shaft's chainshield.
There's a retention clip on the shaft, large washer behind it. Maybe the washer's too thick?

Here's some banter on the shiftshaft:

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31955&highlight=circlip
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27412&highlight=circlip
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39757&highlight=circlip
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39814&highlight=shiftshaft

Here's a shot of peanut's engine. Note the shiftshaft and the chain shield. The shaft's circlip and washer are behind that.

View attachment 34412

So I made a list of all the possibilities and put them in order from easiest to most difficult. I started by taking off the left side cover. Without the cover on I put the shift pedal back on to see if there was still any stiffness, there was but not as much as with the cover on. I removed the chainsheild and the circlip was there, installed the shift pedal again and it worked with no stiffness. I cleaned and applied grease to any friction areas, put everything back together and now it operates fine. Took her around the block and still trouble downshifting. Next thing I did was adjust the clutch rod, 1/8 turn back out, dialed in the adjustment at the perch, took her around the block again and she shifted perfectly.
Sandy is back on the road!!! :bike: Thanks for all the help!

I probably should have mentioned I installed a new clutch and had about 250 miles on it. Shifting was smooth for the first 200 miles or so then it slowly started to get difficult downshifting. Do clutches normally have a seat in period?

So I made a list of all the possibilities and put them in order from easiest to most difficult.

Shhhhh! Yer lettin' out the secret method!

... and she shifted perfectly. Sandy is back on the road!!!

Attaboy!

Do clutches normally have a seat in period?

They can. As the plates settle-in, the whole clutchpack can get a little thinner. Not much, but a couple thousandths will reduce whatever clutch actuator freeplay you may have...

There's an old saying, "There's nothing new under the sun." we do on occasion happen to rearrange things to look new.
Leo

There's an old saying, "There's nothing new under the sun." we do on occasion happen to rearrange things to look new.
Leo

Sometimes rearranging things makes no sense:
Leo, look There's an new sun under the old occasion. on saying, "There's nothing new we do happen things to, to rearrange" :laugh:

Back