dragging clutch

Ben Mccree

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi All, Having problems with the clutch dragging. I have looked at the clutch info and mine ticks all the boxes. I am using GTX 20/50 oil and it seems to be the oil that is sticking the plates together. On the bench I wiped a spinner and friction plate clean and sprayed WD40 on them and with a little bit of pressure they spun together nicely, got two that were coated with oil and there was alot of drag.
I am thinking of draining all the oil out and replacing it with 5/30W. Does anyone think that will help?
And, also my clutch has rubbers type seals between each friction plate am I better keeping them in, can any one tell me what they are there for.
Cheers Ben

Try to use emery paper(fine grit) on both side of the steel plates.Cleam them well when you are done.Also your clutch springs could be weak.Upgrade to heavy duty springs.10/40 mineral oil is more then fine.You clutch adjuster(by the ignition rotor) could be miss adjusted.Too far in could separate the plates a bit making easyer for the clutch to slip.

Don't use 5/30, that's car oil and has energy saving additives. It will make the clutch slip. You must have an early motor if it has those rubber inserts between the plates. If the clutch is original, they need to be there. If it has been upgraded to new style plates, then you leave the rubbers out.

Thr rubber rings in the early models serve the same purpose that the spring washer and plate that are held into the hub on the later models. They help cushion the engagement of the clutch. I think if you leave them out you need to add one more of the steel plates and one more fiber plates. That maybe only if you replace all the plates. The new plates are a bit thinner than the early plates, this lets you put one more set of plates in. More plates gives you more engagement surface. This makes the clutch grip better.
Trying a different oil may help. Most any good 20w50 will work. Lots of people like 15w40 diesel oil.
I'm using a 50-50 mix of Valvoline VR-1 20w50 racing oil and Valvoline 20w50 motorcycle oil. The engine likes it, the clutch likes it.

After proper clutch adjustment, I switched from Rotella T 15w40 to Mobil 1 20w-50 4T (motorcycle specific-wet clutch) Smooth as butter. Pricey, but hell its only 2 quarts.

Back