Drilling rotors

kvanderploeg

The Dutch Terror
Reaction score
I finally got around to drilling my rear rotor. I drilled the front one about 5 days before my son was born, so things have been on the back burner. For the rear rotor, I used a progressive drill patter. The holes get smaller as you move from the inside edge to the outside edge of the rotor. Nothing terribly complicated here, but I thought some guys might like to see just how easy it is.

It does help to box up around your drill press with some cardboard to keep the metal chips from flying all over. I drill smaller pilot holes first, then come back to enlarge them. As with drilling any metal, slow on the drill press and plenty of lube.

Kent

P1020143.jpg

Thanks for posting this. I've been thinking about drilling my rotors too, but I'm unsure if my old press can handle it. Did you use any special bits for this? How or where did you create/get your pattern?

Thanks for sharing

I got my original template from "thelowlife" came from this thread:

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12671

I just resized his original template to 90% for the rear rotor, but I did as him if he could make an official template for the rear as well. He has a rear drum, so he didn't originally create one. I didn't use any special bits. Just a good set of Craftsman black oxide bits. I will add that this drill press certainly isn't great, and was a $60 garage sale special, according to my buddy that is letting me borrow it. Unfortunately, it's only a 5 speed, and 700 RPM is as slow as it goes.

Kent

Last edited:
Vice grip makes a clamp like that. It has a stud and eye nut on the bottom so it's easy to move around in the table slots, Mine is always on the drill press.
IIRC the recommendation is don't chamfer rotor holes.

Quick guess is you want to scrape off any crud as it goes by the hole, not wedge it between the rotor and pad.

Good point. I just went and looked at the rear rotor on my dirty bike and there's no chamfer. It does have 40 hrs and on it's second set of rear pads, though.

I tried that with the five hole pattern and couldn't get it below 91%(I don't know how to use these things very well) unless it was a lot less than that. Which made it too big for the rotor. I couldn't get it lined up properly on the rotor. I wish he would have made a new one for the five hole.

Kent, I guess I'm just dumb, but I don't understand how you downsized the front pattern to 90%? Anyway the 5 hole sweeping style like on your rotor is what I want, only with all holes the same size, like your small hole. 3/16 I think. Want a side job? Or maybe send me your resized template pattern? I'm in joliet.

I just downsized it from the printer properties before hitting the print button. Do you need both front and rear rotors done? What are you up to today?

Kent

Back