DRIVE CHAIN LINK tips for REMOVAL

ANLAF

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
I have broken two drive chain link clips - and I was being as careful as I could be, so I wasn't doing it correctly.

What is the way to remove these simple and much-needed clips without causing them fatal damage?

I have just read the thread "How difficult is it to replace the rear drum brakes?" and I want to service those rear drum brakes, and - you've guessed it - I'm having chain link jitters.

Anlaf

Last edited:
After removing the clip, I tap a small screwdriver between the plate and chain, jumping from pin to pin (the plate has to come off evenly). I work my way up through bigger and thicker screwdrivers. It should come off easier the farther off you get it and eventually can be just pried with one of the bigger screwdrivers.

I usually put a flat head screwdriver on the open end of the clip and tap it with a hammer, popping it loose. Haven't broke one yet.

The old school method we used was to roll the wheel so the master link is on the rear sprocket, for support, then to place needle-nose pliers, flat, left jaw over the open end of the clip, right jaw over the pin, and squeeze/rotate the pliers so the clip slides forward. Some older clips required use of the circlip pliers...

There is an actual tool designed for removing those master link clips. It looks like a standard pliers with one jaw slightly shorter than the other. The shorter jaw has a slight indent for the tip of the pin. By placing the short jaw on the ML and the longer jaw on the open end of the clip the pliers are squeezed and the clip slides back off the pin without damage.

I use standard pliers the same way. I've thought how easy it would be to grind pliers to make a tool but I never have. A 5twins project, me thinks.

Tom Graham

There is no need to remove the master link to work on the rear wheel.
Just slide the wheel fully forward, lift the chain off the sprocket, let it drop down on the spacer. Pull axle, remove wheel.
Leo

When it comes to removing the link the next time I'll have a better shot at it - and it looks like I can remove the wheel without splitting the chain, good - and I ain't not got no mufflere, so off that wheel comes.

Anlaf

Back