Drive chain slack question

cmyoch

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
I broke out the old girl today to get her ready for spring. She started up no problem and I decided to take her around the block. Before I left I checked the drive chain for proper tension which was okay. I happen Eddie to look down while accelerating and noticed a lot of slack in the chain during this. Is this normal? I don't recall how much slack because I was moving but it was enough for me to take notice. Now, I didn't hear any noise like the chain slapping anywhere. One issue I've always had since day one is I constantly have to adjust the rear end. My tire eventually cocks to the side enough to rub the stabilizer bar then I have to adjust it back. I'd say every 4th to 5th ride.

Anyone else have issues like this or ideas on a remedy?

Something's wrong with the assembly of your rear wheel. It shouldn't cock like that ever. What's a "stabilizer bar"? I'm not familiar with that part on any 650 rear wheel assembly, no motorcycle rear wheel assembly for that matter.

Can you take a picture of your rear end and post, preferably both sides, also a picture of the back of your bike would help, zing, but a pic of your setup might help to diagnose

Craig, if you can trailer the scoot down here we'll pull the wheel and see what you need; I have parts, that won't be a problem unless we find out the bearings are shot. Phone me and we'll figure out a time. PM if you've lost the number.

Def, your wheel should not move like that, diagnose as suggested above.
As far as chain slack, my bike seems to be pretty slack, it has a tight and lose spot so I adjusts it to the tight spot and it is really slack in other areas, I'm gonna try and tighten it I bit more and see how that does.

Dick,
Good to hear from you. I saw our pics on Facebook last night and thought that I need to reach out to you soon just to catch up. I'd love to come visit your place sometime. I've been wanting to get your expertise on a few adjustments around the bike. I have been meaning to do that for a very long time now. I still have your number saved so I'll call you soon.

I'll snap a few pictures of my rear end (the bike that is) and post them.

I don't know if this is related to this or not but I recall last year the bike shifting slightly to the side when applying the rear brake harder than normal. I'll have to look, I think I posted a thread about it.

I think your issue is probably related to wheel spacing, as in not quite enough. That would allow the axle to stick through a bit too much. You would run out of threads for the nut before the wheel assembly was clamped tight enough in the swingarm. The nut would feel and be tight on the axle, but only because it's out of threads.

The answer could be as simple as the right side chain adjuster. The 650 chain adjusters are rather unique. No washers are used on the axle, either under the nut or under the head on the other end. Instead, washers are built onto the chain adjusters .....

ChainAdjOutsides.jpg

The one on the right adjuster is what we're concerned with here. Without it, the axle would stick through too much. Also note the smaller hole on the outside of the left adjuster. That only allows the smaller diameter threaded portion of the axle to go through. So, without proper spacing the shank of the axle could be bottoming against that small hole. The result would be the same, wheel not clamped tight enough in the swingarm.

Update, I finally got time to fiddle with the bike. I removed the rear wheel but before the adjusters fell off the axle, I didn't get a chance to study how they were oriented. Regardless, they are oriented exactly as the above photo. I adjusted the chain according to the FSM and plan on taking a test ride before dark. If not, I'll ride tomorrow. Hopefully I simply had them installed wrong.

You might have two right side adjusters. Will both slide all the way onto the axle? One should, the other only one hole fits down the unthreaded portion

I definitely have two different sized holes for the axle. I very well could have had something backwards. It wouldn't surprise me if I did.
IMG_0371.JPG

Back