Drum won't spin freely when I tighten the axle.

pirategonzo

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have been playing around trying to get my wheel mounted, I noticed when I tighten the axle the drum won't spin. Is it possible I tightened it too much and damaged something? Could I have pushed the bearing in to where the drum cover isn't touching it? Should I just be looking at replacing the bearings or am I just looking at this all wrong?

I made sure everything was together correctly and I even took the pads out to make sure they weren't dragging.

I doubt you over tightened the axle Some specs call for over 100 ft./lbs. of torque. I don't think they need quite that much.
When you have the wheel installed finger tighten the axle, now adjust the brake. Now while holding the pedal pressed down tighten the axle to around 50-60 ft./lbs. of torque.
This centers the brakes in the drum. Now release the brake and see is it spins ok.
If that won't set things right you may have bad bearings or a missing part. There is a spacer that goes inside the hub. this keeps the bearings properly spaced. Without the spacer as you tighten the axle the inner bearing race gets pushed in to far and the balls in the bearing get squeezed to tightly between the inner and out races. This can lock the bearings up.
Leo

Tightening the axle shouldn't cause any drag on the wheel no matter how tight it is. It tightens onto spacers over the axle and inside the bearings all the way across, and never exerts any force on the wheel.

Stock swingarm or homemade job? Did you have the wheel apart?

Your hardtail basketcase is probably missing some items.
Here's one parts diagram for the early models that may help:

Attachments

• 70-73_rear_wheel.pdf
    123.4 KB · Views: 198
REAR_WHEEL__XS650DEE006501F.png

Here's one odd little gotcha; part #16 in the diagram will only fit one way, if you have it on backwards the flange will interfere with the rim of the drum and drag on it. Just rotate the brake cam shaft 180 and reinstall.

Not all years have this part on the brake shaft some years have it even though it doesn't do anything. The shaft used is different if #16 is present so you need to leave it in place.

Did you replace bearings? Part # 20 has often been left in the old bearing and not moved to the new one. It's available from the aftermarket because a lot of guys have thrown it away with the old bearing. If that part was missing and you got the axle very tight order new bearings too.

Ok, after fiddling around with it if I have the drum in the proper position the wheel spins freely. If I turn the drum say 180 degrees it drags on the rim. On other bikes Ive had in the past the drum never dragged on the rim no matter what position it was in right or wrong.

So if I turn the tension bar mount hole into approximately the correct position everything is great, if I turn it straight up it starts rubbing around the rim where the arrow is pointing along that line / seal, not just that specific point

7XEHLhl.jpg

By the way, I'm new to this forum and to the xs650 in general but you guys have been awesome and very informative.

Well as you hint brake plate position shouldn't matter, the wheel turns completely around. Have you checked that the axle is straight? Are the frame axle plates straight and parallel to each other? Try tightening the wheel assembly without it being in the frame (use some washers) does the wheel turn free then?
Not a big deal; on a stock bike the axle nut is on the sprocket side

Back