dual sport

kuthe64

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 81 xs650, I was wondering what modifications need to be done to make it a dual sport bike, just for some dirt trails nothing to crazy. From what I have gathered online is that all that needs to be modified are the forks, shocks, and tires. Does anything need to be done to the engine since its air cooled? And do you think there needs to be any more mods than mentioned. I don't want to spend to much. Thanks in advanced.

I have an xs400 i use for that. I did knobbies, raised the front fender and inch, longer shocks, fork gaiters, smaller tail light, mini speedometer. Does it very well in gravel and even mud. Working on a skid plate. Also used some mil spec ammo pouches as tool bags etc. Pretty fun little bike.

Heh heh, yeah skid plate for sure. It's not if but when you hit the engine on some rocks. I even put some plywood between my engine and skid plate. Gearing down is a big help, I went with 38 tooth on the rear. It's wound up pretty tight at 65 now. Knobby tires of course. You can't get too crazy with it but it's fun to roll up to modern bikes and explain that it was built by a Japanese piano manufacturer

I converted an XS650 for dual sport adventure riding and have made many changes after the first few rides. I will list them in the order of importance to me.
1. get the weight down as much as you can.
2. dual sport tires of course
3. get stiffer suspension.
4. dirt bike handle bars
5. dirt bike sytle foot pegs (easy to make)
6. have a raised front fender (mud)
The bikes stock gearing 17/34 works good. plenty of power. The chain guard will break off in short order, so lose that first. The stock gas tank is fine but do not tighten the rear tank fastening bolt or leave it off, or you will break off the tab or cause a gas leak problem. A rear luggage rack is the only way your gear will stay on your bike in the bumpy stuff. After sorted out the bike works great and has been ultra reliable. The downside it is still heavy and there is not much ground clearance, but if you don't ride in too nasty terrain then the bike is great.

Back