duel output coil help

spanks

XS650 Member
Reaction score
so ive been wanting to upgrade my ignition and i read up some on the duel output coils. i have a 79 what all would i need to do to put one in/wire it up? im not very good with ignition systems so a wireing diagram to wire it up would be good to also what coil should i buy

:agree:dual output coil with dual points worked out pretty good. thanks for the tip retiredgentleman. i will say this though - timing that setup is kind a of a pain, i just went ahead and ditched the dual points and bought a single points dual lobed cam.

Dual points are not really that difficult. They do have to be set in order, the same way, every time. The up side is; the timing for each cylinder can be set dead on. The dual lobe ignition cam is a after-market part not manufactured to Yamaha's quality. That said, the tolerance of the dual cam causes a slight difference in timing between the two cylinders. This jitter has to be divided between the two.

originally thats why i went with the dual points - to set each cylinder's timing individually. what i found was that only one point was actually governing the timing for both cylinders, the other point was always firing around TDC. maybe i didn't play with it enough to get the hang of it but i had the dual lobed cam anyways, so why not make my life a little easier. working great so far.

If that's the result you were getting, then you where doing it wrong. The factory manual has a detailed description of how the points are to be set. In general it works like this. One set of points is mounted on the base plate. They are adjusted first and NOT moved again. The second set of points is mounted on top of the base plate. They are adjusted last. This adjustment should not in any way move the base plate below.

i know how to adjust points, i had the points adjusted dead on with the stock dual points/dual coil setup. when the points are hooked in parallel for the dual output coil they don't behave the same as the stock setup.

This theory was suggested in another thread i started:
pa23driver,

Well, it would help if we knew what year / model bike you have and why you decided to use a dual output coil with points and what the part number is for the coil and whether or not you installed a new set of points and condenser.

Without all of the above, my first thought is that a dual output coil produces a positive voltage on one plug and a negative on the other. The timing light only works properly on the negative wire, but there is no easy way to determine which is the negative wire, so all you can do is swap the timing light to the other wire. One of the problems with using the timing light on the positive plug wire is that the timing light will fire on the trailing edge of the spark, which occurs later than the leading edge, so it could show up at TDC.

maybe i am doing something completely wrong, have you actually worked with a dual points/single coil setup before Purplezinger? i'm open to giving it another shot if you have first hand experience

Last edited:
I'm sorry, I misunderstood, I though you went to the dual coil because you couldn't get the two sets of points adjusted. My bad.

That sounds like a dwell problem where the points overlap one another.

I'm sorry, I misunderstood, I though you went to the dual coil because you couldn't get the two sets of points adjusted. My bad.

That sounds like a dwell problem where the points overlap one another.

no problem :thumbsup:, in theory the setup sounds great, but in application it doesn't work out so well making the dual lobed cam worthwhile.

i was going to buy stock coils and just keep the stock ignition but retiredgentleman talked me into the dual output coil setup because 1) the spark is hotter and 2) moving to a Pamco will be easier and cheaper.

Back