Dumb question here

davem222

davem222
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm trying to figure out a mystery squeal on my clutch. I think it may be some missing/incorrect washers and spacers. Here's my dumb question: which hub is rotated by the engine and which connects to the drive sprocket? Is the inner basket rotated by the engine? Is the outer?
Seems silly I know. Let me know when anyone has a sec. Thanks!! Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving!

Dave

Hey guys,
I'm trying to figure out a mystery squeal on my clutch. I think it may be some missing/incorrect washers and spacers. Here's my dumb question: which hub is rotated by the engine and which connects to the drive sprocket? Is the inner basket rotated by the engine? Is the outer?
Seems silly I know. Let me know when anyone has a sec. Thanks!! Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving!

Dave

Here's a pic of what I found on my 78 SE. One of the PO's had taken the clutch apart and when he re-assembled, he left out one of the washers. He had left out the 1 mm washer that is the closest to the crankcase. The pic shows some minor damage, but it did not cause any real problems with the clutch. I replaced the missing washer with an OEM Yamaha washer.

This is the diagram that I used to check if my clutch contained the correct parts.

The engine crankshaft turns the primary gears, which turn the Basket (Clutch Drum) which drive the friction plates. The drive is transferred to the steel plates which drive the Inner Hub (Clutch Center). The Inner Hub transmits power to the transmission.

The only way to know is to take off the side cover and have a look. PO's cannot be trusted to re-assemble things correctly:)

Attachments

• Clutch Rubbing mod1.JPG
    Clutch Rubbing mod1.JPG
    197.3 KB · Views: 122
  • Revised clutch.jpg
    Revised clutch.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 123
Excellent. Thanks man. So I took it apart and there's a TINY thin little washer against the crankcase seal, like very thin and tiny, about a mm thick. Is that the innermost one ("a" in the diagram you attached) or is there another one and then the thrust washer ("b" in the diagram)? I've upgraded to Mike's bearing and I read somewhere that it's a bit thinner than the normal bearing. I dunno, I'm kinda scratching my head here.

Dave

good answer RG, that will be helpful for me shortly . :thumbsup:

You need both the A and B washers to get the proper clearance to prevent the basket from rubbing on the case as In RG's situation.
I put in Mike's new bearing. I haven't read anything about it being thinner than stock. But I used the E and G washers in the diagram and everything works fine. Was Mike's an improvement over a stock bearing? In my case not really. Mine was in very good shape. Now on one that was worn out or bent or something like that then yes it could improve things.
Mike's new bearing with more rollers is a good idea. It will help keep the basket from wobbling as much as a stock bearing. Just don't expect a drastic change in clutch function.
Be sure that you use all the spacer washers as shown in the diagram RG posted. Make sure they are all aligned properly. The ones by the bearing are different. One fits over the bushing C, the other fits over the input shaft of the tranny. The one on the bushing can slip out of place. I like to use a bit of grease to "glue" the washers and bearing in place.
Once you get it back together the oil will wash the grease out and lube the bearing.
Leo

who was it that posted about a 'rubbing whining' noise from their clutch last week ? Probably have a similar problem :wink2:

lol, I think it may have been me, Peanut. I'm still trying to find the source of the squeal. If the outer basket is always turning when the engine is on, then my squeal must come from the rotation of the inner hub (because the noise is in proportion to how much the clutch engages). I'm betting it's SOME sort of washer mess up on my part from putting the darn thing back together. Maybe once I get all of the washers in (I had to order one) I'll take a photo and see if you guys can give me the ol' thumbs up before I install. Merci!

Dave

ahhhh it was you Dave !:D

My memory gets any worse i'll forget who I am :laugh:

It sounds like you both have exactly the same problem doesn't it.

I guess you'll be waiting to next year now, before stripping it down huh?

Hope you take plenty of pictures :thumbsup: it would be good to see what you find .:D

Ok, opened up the clutch again today. Here are some pics of the order I have these washers in and the washers I have. I can't seem to find a problem with washer order. I also found some rubbing marks on the case, but it seems as though it's rubbing from when, prior, I didn't have the first thrust washer in (the one closest to the case) and ran it for a bunch of miles (less than 100). Also, the squeal comes only when the clutch is engaged, which would tell me that it can't come from the outer clutch hub as that is always rotating via the pistons (unless I'm confused).
Can anyone sign off on this clutch washer order and does anyone have an idea then as to what the squeal is? Thanks guys.

Dave

Attachments

• photo (20).JPG
    photo (20).JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 108
  • photo (21).JPG
    photo (21).JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 97
  • photo (22).JPG
    photo (22).JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 97
  • photo (23).JPG
    photo (23).JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 109
Btw, sorry, that last photo of the rubbing marks is rotated. "up" in the photo is towards the front of the bike, so to properly look at the photo, rotate your computer screen 90 degrees clockwise. Sorry about that lol.

Dave

Ha ha ha ha!! No only did rebuilding and rechecking the entire clutch mechanism several times do nothing to stop the sound, but now, the kickstart mechanism, which never was a problem before, is having trouble catching. No doubt I did something to mess it up (even though I didn't touch it) when I removed the clutch cover but man, although I'm agnostic, it's things like this that almost make me believe in a malevolent force in the universe. Conditions simply couldn't have been more perfect to annoy the crap out of me lol. Oh well, back to the drawing board on the sound and now my new kickstarter problem :)

Any chance there's something in the case along the shaft from the inner clutch hub to the transmission that could be squealing?

Posted via Mobile

Back