Earth magnets on 71 rotor?

JonnyAutomatic

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm new on here. I have a 71 xs650 bobber, stock charging system, new plugs, wires, points, condenser, and coils. bike runs great going down the road, but when i take off to leave an intersection, it misfires, and runs like crap until i get the RPM up. Ive read about the earth magnet trick on the rotor, my question is will this work on my 71, and where the heck on the rotor do i put them?
Thanks everyone.

The magnet trick applies to the newer bikes with the TCI ignition. The magnet is on the charging rotor and triggers the pickup for the ignition. Have you gone through the carbs? Lots of info here in the tech section.

yea, ive been through the carbs, maybe ill do it again. i don't know whats going on with it. thanks for the reply

I'll take a look at that, thanks Leo. My carbs don't have that "synchronizing screw". the only link between the carbs is the choke linkage, and obviously fuel lines. I need to learn how to sync them properly. I'll read up on that tomorrow and play around with it them. thanks again.

In the Clymers book page 20 it tells how to adjust the carb. This is reffered to as the dead cylinder method. It doesn't cover adjusting the mix screws other than set them to the stock spec. Start there, once you "kill" one cylinder slow down the idle speed as far as you can and still run. Now slowly turn the idle mix screw in untill you hear a change in the idle. Note the mix screw position, Turn it out till the idle changes. Note screw position. Now set the screw 1/2 way between these to points.
Repeat for the other side.
Once you finish the air mix screws do things as the book reccomends.
Once you get things down by the book ride the bike to get it warmed up well. Now stop and with the bike idling give the throttle a quick twist to 1/2 to 3/4 open. Does the engine respond with a smooth increase in rpms? No hesitation or stumble? If there is try turning the mix screws out 1/8 turn repeat the test. If 1/8 or 1/4 turn out doesn't help try 1/8 or 1/4 turn in. If it takes more than 1/4 to 1/2 turn out you need the next size pilot up. If more than 1/4 to 1/2 turn in, you need the next smaller pilot.
It maybe hard to hear the idle changes. They can be very small changes.
Your bike will run fine at the stock spec but not it's best.
In the Haynes book page 77 is the carb adjustment.
Leo

At idle for the short amount of time you will be "killing" that cylinder, the fuel delivered to the cylinder won't be enough to bother about.
Leo

Back