EBay, WTF?

grepper

fiddle futzer
Reaction score
If you are like me, you have (xs650), (xs 650) saved in your Saved Searches in Ebay.

Over the last few years I've noticed a sharp increase in the number of xs650 parts for sale. Seems like there is a lot of Buy It Now's out there for high prices. I wonder if these sellers are getting these prices for parts??

I came across this today.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290573903381
:wtf: If I were to come across this when disassembling a bike, it would go straight in the trash. There's not even a bezel. Maybe if it came off a 48 Panhead it might be worth that much.

Here's a couple more Crazy Parts

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMAHA-AC-GENERATOR-TX650-XS1-XS1B-XS2-XS650-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem334503cd37QQitemZ220201209143QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMAHA-FRONT-BRAKE-CALIPER-ASSEMBLY-RD400-XS650-RD-XS-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3a686d76a1QQitemZ250860107425QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

hahaha! $900!?!?!?! for the "generator"??

i messaged them about the price... well see what they have to say:laugh:

and what's with the ones that sell for $29.99 but the shipping is $379.00 for a small box

Some people do that because the ebay fee used to be based on the selling price. Now the ebay fee is for the selling price and the shipping charge combined, so it doesn't work anymore.

Ebay seems like it's going to shit quickly. As often as not you will wait a long time to get your money, if ever.

It's the result of sellers no longer being able to give buyers bad feedback.

In fact if you complain to the buyer, you risk bad feedback yourself. Buyers have no reason to take it seriously

It's the result of sellers no longer being able to give buyers bad feedback.

The reason I dont sell there anymore.

One of those guys doesn't know what he has. He has a cam chain adjuster listed as an oil drain plug. See this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1978-...s#ht_745wt_940

I've bought a few things from him, generally accurately described and fairly priced. I'm pretty sure your example is an exception. Probably posted the wrong photo and ad together :shrug:.

and what's with the ones that sell for $29.99 but the shipping is $379.00 for a small box

I'm pretty sure that is still against ebay policy. You can report those auctions. Sometimes I send the seller a message telling them their shipping is inflated and they should be able to ship that part or $5 or $10 or whatever I know the part could be shipped to me for. Sometimes they'll sell me the part for the advertised price and lower the shipping to something reasonable. I don't know if they just do that because they think I'm going to report their ad or what, but it has saved me some money.

Also, for the most part, I don't care if people want to post stuff for crazy high prices and sit on it. It doesn't really affect me since I'm not buying the item. Grepper, maybe the shift you are seeing is because ebay has made a shift to charging less for listing items and charging more when an item sells. The sellers can practically list things for free and sit on them as long as they want and hope someone comes along and buys their high priced item.

Maybe ebay should go back to charging a little more for listing items, but then there would probably be less items on ebay for us to browse through and make fun of. :shrug:

Can ya message them a kick to the throat?

I checked the description, no coke or gold chunks included.

:wtf:

hahah i tried but no such luck...

his response was reasonable though...

".... its hard to tell, i've seen stupid stuff go for stupid money! If you are interested, make me a reasonable offer and I will consider it as I have had this listed for some time. Thanks!"

:shrug:

I was so close to posting something about xs parts on ebay last night!!!! alot of those guys are insane about the prices of there used parts!!! The funny thing is they dont even try to wipe or clean them off there all nasty and dirty and rusty I think its a hoot!!!

Those are some nice looking bolts! :D

Yes, much nicer than the brand new ones I get from my local hardware store for 25 cents each.

With all the gripes about eBay, I still use it. They are the market leader when it comes to online auctions. Something in my head tells me to be a far seller though and not rip people off. I've sold stuff on craigslist, but when what your selling has a pretty focused market, craigslist falls short. From now on I'll post my xs650 parts here first, but when they don't sell, off to eBay they go.

As for the buyers on eBay, some have more money than sense.

i.e About a month ago I listed a bunch of xs650 parts here, one in particular a 72 master cylinder. Most of us know, by reading the posts, a new MC of the same size will be a lot easier to work with than a 40 yo thing that needs rebuilding. Well, no one took it here, I was asking $10. It just sold on eBay for $64. Ka-Ching$. I thought that was WAY too much and sent him an invoice with free shipping, then shipped it Priority instead of the Parcel Post shipping listed.

Yes, much nicer than the brand new ones I get from my local hardware store for 25 cents each.

With all the gripes about eBay, I still use it. They are the market leader when it comes to online auctions. Something in my head tells me to be a far seller though and not rip people off. I've sold stuff on craigslist, but when what your selling has a pretty focused market, craigslist falls short. From now on I'll post my xs650 parts here first, but when they don't sell, off to eBay they go.

As for the buyers on eBay, some have more money than sense.

i.e About a month ago I listed a bunch of xs650 parts here, one in particular a 72 master cylinder. Most of us know, by reading the posts, a new MC of the same size will be a lot easier to work with than a 40 yo thing that needs rebuilding. Well, no one took it here, I was asking $10. It just sold on eBay for $64. Ka-Ching$. I thought that was WAY too much and sent him an invoice with free shipping, then shipped it Priority instead of the Parcel Post shipping listed.

In any auction, Ebay or live, you have to keep your head and know what the real value of the item you're bidding on. People get carried away and pay too much. I think that's what some sellers on ebay count on.

Back