Electrical system compatibility

Prisondawg

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have an older model xs I think a 78 I'm not sure as it's a parts bike without a title and the old 9 digit vin is hard to i.d. . I also have another bike that is titled , it's an 83. It has an engine that I'm thinking is also an 83 . I was told the engine runs and only has 5k miles on it. I'm trying to use the wiring harness from the 78. As well as all the guages and lifhts and coils. Basically all the electronics. As I am getting the parts all on , I notice that the wires that are coming out of the stator from the 83 have been cut. The guy I bought it from said he was going to make it kick only and not run a battery at all. I was reading in the manual that the newer models don't use points and have a transistor based system. My question is , can I use the wiring harness, from the 78 with an 83 engine and get the electric start to work and all the other electronics.

The 83 has a plastic peice ok the stator along with the brushes. The 78 only has the brushes.
IMG_20180527_223939_1.jpg
IMG_20180527_223913.jpg

It sounds like you're swapping everything to the '83 so it should work, But only if you swap the points ignition to the '83 as well. The '78 should have all the parts to do that. Basically you're putting an '83 engine in a '78 bike. Although what you're really doing is swapping the whole shebang to the '83. The '78 stator will swap over too, as long as you use the '78 ignition, The transistor ignition boxes are worth a lot on ebay.

The "plastic piece" on the 83 stator is the electronic ignition pick-up coil. Does it still have its connector? If so, then all you need to do is splice a connector back on to the cut stator wires. There are "6-pin" connectors for pre-1983, and "8-pin" connectors (that actually only have seven terminals) for 1983. You could cut the 6-pin connector off of the 78, and eliminate the 7th wire which is just a side stand safety switch, and use it. Or, rather than butcher the 78 stator, I think that you can buy an 8-pin connector from MikesXS.com.

So, you can go either way, but the electronic ignition is a huge improvement over points. If your transistor ignition box is missing or bad, it's worth paying a little for one that works.

He wants to use the '78 harness is the basic thing, so he has to turn the '83 into a '78 :)
P.S. the plastic thing pickup on the '83 stator is also worth good money on ebay. They don't make that or the ignition anymore and ppl need them, so you owe it to the community to sell it on ebay.

True, that's what he said, but keeping the 83 a 83 is way simpler, and results in a better bike, so I am trying to steer someone who is just learning in a better direction.

That's cool. Might be more of a problem modifying the '78 harness to work with all the '83 stuff though was my thinking,

I've got a rebuilt '80 engine with TCI in my '77 and using the '77 harness. Essentially it's the same as to what you're asking with your '83 engine and '78 harness.
It can be done using the "Some wiring diagrams " thread started by INXS in the tech section for reference but it's going to be a challenge, look for some simplified wiring posts.
The '78's dual coils won't work with the TCI.

Can I use the dual coils at all? Or is it worth it to get the single coil goung? If so what's a good single coil on the market ?

Go to ebay and search for MP08 coil. You will want one that has the wire caps with it.

You can only use the dual coils with the points ignition. The later TCI electronic ignition will require a single coil. The MP08 Honda coil WER mentioned is a nice, cheap option.

I ordered the single coil. The engine I have on my 83 has its wires cut, am I going to need to by a new wiring harness to hook it up to make it work with the 78? Is there someone that makes that wiring harness or do I have to buy a used one. If so, how do I find it ? Also thanks for everyone's response so far , it's a huge help. The wiring process is a bit daunting.

It sounds like you've decided to keep the '83 an '83. Mikesxs sells a harness I think. If you got an MP08, you have to make a little straight bracket to put it where the old coil was since the MP08 is a little shorter. Hardware store has a bin of metal strips that includes about 5/8" x 1/16" x 36". Cut off a small length and drill two holes in it to extend the rear to the bracket. I put the plug wire terminals forward and had to grind a little bit of gusset away to clear one terminal. It was the best way to put it on. If you put zip tie tight around the cap before you screw it on it might help keep it from ever splitting. Then as an extra touch I taped it the way I was taught to do with wire nuts, to help keep the plug wire and terminal from shaking apart.

Last edited:
Neither one of those engines you posted pictures of appear to be an '83.

If your going to activate an engine in your '83 frame then it may be best for you to get an '82 or an '83 wiring harness, they're the same.

If you have the wiring harness that came with the '83 then by all means use it.

If the wires coming out of the stator on the '83 have been cut, where have they been cut? Do the wires reach to behind the carburetor and close to the battery box? If not then you'll have to splice them to extend them and then either bullet connect them into the harness or get the correct multiplug. There should be a receiving plug in the harness for the stator wires to connect to.
Find the schematic for the '82/'83 in the tech thread already mentioned.

I not sure ima understanding completely. But I might entertain the idea of keeping the old stator and mounting the pickup to it rather than splicing wires.

Not identifying the bikes properly is going to wards the confusion and will definatly be the cause in the future.

OP, Post the vin no's of the frames and engines........Frames have a stamped Vin no on the neck as well as a sticker and the engine vin no's are on the lower front right hand side just behind the front frame engine mount, We can identify the no's and help,so there can no reason to be confused about the models. The second engine has a black rocker cover, This is an indication that engine may be an 81. The engine with the Factory Electronic ignition, (your stated 83) has BS38 carbs and they were only on bikes up to, and not including, 1980.

82 and 83 have a bunch of safety relays no other models had.........

Posting pics that show the whole bike and parts, is going to help as well. Forget what the PO has said, with the right information many of us will identify what you have and that means information posted to help will be in line with what you have and what is needed to swap thing over.

Do not ignore these questions if you want to get things identified properly, then answers to your questions can be answered with more confidence and less confusion

what's wrong with the bottom picture?
It's a nice picture, as far as pictures go, and a picture is worth a thousand words and can be self evident as to what the subject is, regardless of what the viewer is told he is seeing......lol. Until the serial number comes in I'll contend that it's not an '83 engine. Now, aside from the semantics, will it work? It certainly should.

'83's were blacked out, engine case, jugs, top end and carbs. Carbs were bs34's. None of this appears in the second pic.....either pic for that matter.

It's a nice picture, as far as pictures go, and a picture is worth a thousand words and can be self evident as to what the subject is, regardless of what the viewer is told he is seeing......lol. Until the serial number comes in I'll contend that it's not an '83 engine. Now, aside from the semantics, will it work? It certainly should.

'83's were blacked out, engine case, jugs, top end and carbs. Carbs were bs34's. None of this appears in the second pic.....either pic for that matter.
has the TCI pick ups, frame has the solid state REC REG mount, think I'm seeing the remains of the that crappy factory black tween the fins. :sneaky: but 80-84 all had TCI and other than paint engines were the same.

Last edited:
Back