Electrical things are not my strong point !!

jlc

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Heya from Oz
I am trying to figure out if I can run a digital speedo/tach on my kick start only 78?
My capacitor is working well and just not sure if these aftermarket gauges need a constant battery power or if you can just start them up once the kickstart has done its thing?
My present old speedo (manual driven) is on its last legs so starting the search for the replacement piece.
Cheers in advance

Have you looked at the GPS speedometers that are available now? Seems too easy to just mount them and turn them on. But, the ones I've seen are butt ugly.

GPS may not work in OZ, if this "flat earth" theory is true.

Scott

Last edited:
Look at Trailtech. They r made to run without a battery if need be. They were designed for dirt bikes. I run one on my Vstrom because I like he additional information. They can be wired directly to the battery/12v power source and come with an internal backup battery. Can be run either way but will run off the 12v power source when bike is running.

https://www.trailtech.net/vapor

Look at Trailtech. They r made to run without a battery if need be. They were designed for dirt bikes. I run one on my Vstrom because I like he additional information. They can be wired directly to the battery/12v power source and come with an internal backup battery. Can be run either way but will run off the 12v power source when bike is running.

https://www.trailtech.net/vapor
Thanks for the input I will have a gander at them and see where to go from there again many thanks

Have you looked at the GPS speedometers that are available now? Seems too easy to just mount them and turn them on. But, the ones I've seen are butt ugly.

GPS may not work in OZ, if this "flat earth" theory is true.

Scott
Its cool if its flat then Oz is on the same surface as the states or are we on the underside ?;););)

I mounted an Acewell electonic tach/speedo around 12 years ago after two mechanical tachs failed in as many seasons, and it still performs like new. A 1 megohm resistor on the sensor line for the tach eliminated spiking. The speedometer function is set from an onboard menu, use rolling circumference of the tire to get in the ballpark, then go for a ride and do fine calibration by comparing trip meter to mile markers. You can use a magnetic pickup, but Acewell also offers a cable with Hall effect sensor built in that threads into the OE speedometer drive. I've also used a Veypor data logger (a high end item from Nonlinear Engineering in Canada, not the bargain basement Trailtech Vapor), which requires mounting a magnet and pickup. Like DaddyG, I prefer a rear wheel mount for this. Remove a sprocket bolt, set it up true on the drill press table, and cut a hole in the center of the head just deep enough to let the sensor magnet sit flush (don't bother with glue, that sucker's not going anywhere!)

The Acewell has a clock function that will work if you hook it up to the battery, but you can ignore that and run the instrument on whatever 12V current your system produces.

Last edited:
Not sure what makes the Stryker (Same as the Vapor but no tach) bargain basement. I have had them on two bikes, my KLR and my Vstrom. Both had the speedo pickup on the front tire and both were within 0.5 Km/H of my GPS once calibrated with the wheel circumference. All I had to do was remove a bolt from the brake disc and replace it with the magnetic one.

Guess all depends on how much you want to spend and what you want to use it for. I have found the Trailtech products to be well worth the money for what I am using it for (accurate Speedo, engine temp, voltmeter and outside temp).

When I labeled TrailTech instruments "bargain basement" I didn't mean that they Aren't OK, canuck, just that they're the least expensive usable instruments out there. Prices of Acewell instruments have gone through the roof since I bought mine, and I'm not sure I'd want to pay their current tab. Spiking tach signals is an issue with all inexpensive electronic digital instruments. In addition to a whole bag of tricks (dyno emulator, time/distance logging, optional heads-up display, etc.), the Nonlinear Engineering instruments have programmable signal filter levels--very trick, but very spendy.

When I labeled TrailTech instruments "bargain basement" I didn't mean that they Aren't OK, canuck, just that they're the least expensive usable instruments out there. Prices of Acewell instruments have gone through the roof since I bought mine, and I'm not sure I'd want to pay their current tab. Spiking tach signals is an issue with all inexpensive electronic digital instruments. In addition to a whole bag of tricks (dyno emulator, time/distance logging, optional heads-up display, etc.), the Nonlinear Engineering instruments have programmable signal filter levels--very trick, but very spendy.

:thumbsup:

Back