Electronic ignition, coils, condenser, wiring???

PMA and Pamco system just arrived!

I would suggest that you install the PAMCO first, leaving the stock rotor as is so you will have the timing mark on the stock rotor to set the ignition timing. You will have to have a separate fully charged battery to power the PAMCO. This will allow you get the engine started before you install the PMA so you can trouble shoot the PMA if you have any initial problems. After you have set up the PMA and you are getting the proper 14.5 Volts from the PMA, you can switch the PAMCO wiring to the bikes wiring from the separate battery.

Wow, i really wish i would have got your post about 6 hours earlier! I tore most if the electrical off the bike (coils, black box, reg/rectifier, stator, rotor), and dove into installing the PMA. All went well until i got to the end and then the instructions said that i needed to mark TDC (top dead center) - information that would have been useful before i started!!!
I guess i'm going to use this post to find TDC and then move to the pamco system.
Jeez people. Easiest way for top dead center; remove your plugs and valve covers like for any vavle adjustment. Rotate your engine until you see freeplay between rocker and valve stem on both rockers of the cylinder you are currently setting. A glance in the spark plug hole will tell you the piston is TDC. You can get closer by sticking a thin rod through the spark plug hole and rocking the piston back and forth, feeling the highest rise of the piston. That is TDC.

If you don't have free play on both rockers, you are on the exhaust stroke and the cam is in overlap position.
But if i'm missing something or if you have another recommendation please share.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Update…Installed PMA & then installed Pamco (yes I installed everything correctly). The bike starts but after a few hours of adjustments I still can get it running right. At this point I’m throwing in the towel - I’m no mechanic. It could be the PMA or Pamco or the Carbs or it could be a little of all three??? At any rate I need some professional help!!!
Can anyone recommend a mechanic in the LA or Valley area (North Hollywood, Van Nuys, Etc.)?

Thanks!!!

Quinn I will venture and say that you may have a carburetor problem. You could follow the carb-guide and re-build them yourself or send them to one of our members who re-builds them. Do a search and a couple of names will come up. Good luck. Tony C.

Update...Installed PMA & then installed Pamco (yes I installed everything correctly). The bike starts but after a few hours of adjustments I still can get it running right. At this point I'm throwing in the towel - I'm no mechanic. It could be the PMA or Pamco or the Carbs or it could be a little of all three??? At any rate I need some professional help!!!
Can anyone recommend a mechanic in the LA or Valley area (North Hollywood, Van Nuys, Etc.)?

Thanks!!!

It's not too late to try my earlier suggestion and wire the PAMCO to a separate battery. There have been a few cases where the PMA regulator does not work properly resulting in a very noisy voltage from the PMA which causes the PAMCO (or any other electronic ignition) to fire intermittently. Try this and check the voltage on the bikes battery / capacitor to see if it is going higher than 15 Volts and / or is fluctuating and / or is too low etc.

Good call Tony! I knew something wasn’t right about how the slides looked... turns out that I installed the slides (duel mikuni's) backwards (left/right swap) they fit but the slides were facing the wrong way. After correcting the bike fired right up and idled way better. I've got a little backfiring but now I think that the issue can be resolved with the correct timing. I’m taking it to my friends shop; he’s got a timing light the right gapping tools for the valves if need be - fingers crossed.

After adjusting the carberator and making sure I had gas in both sides of the tank it finally started running right, and yes with the aid of a strobe light we dialed it in... Wow she runs great!!!!

Thanks for the posts and reply's looks like I won't need a mechanics at the moment after all.

Back