Electronic Ignition for xs650

Just my opinion, but I’d have reservations on being so quick to reverse engineer someone else’s technology. After all, isn’t that what got us to this thread to start with? Mike’s reverse engineered the Pamco and is ultimately responsible for Pete shutting his doors. Now there may be a new opportunity in this unit, I would certainly hate to see the same thing happen. It’s a shame to see a domestically produced product shut down because someone else has stolen his technology and reproduced it for “pennies” overseas. I can certainly appreciate that you are trying to come up with options for a much needed product, but I’d certainly be careful using someone else’s technology to accomplish it.

Mike’s reverse engineered the Pamco and is ultimately responsible for Pete shutting his doors.
Ya know... I'm not entirely convinced of that. Pete kinda dodged that question. It's entirely possible Pete sold the rights to his system to Mikes... and then closed shop. Unless someone has better info, I don't think that's entirely known.
Having said that, I completely agree with Willis. Basically stealing someone else's hard work is in very poor form... and prolly illegal.

Last edited:
well shit snacks,i wasn't even thinking I was steeling anything, I was trying to make my own, for me or a few new friends.. and maybe after making a few , It could be better than the others, and there would be a NEW and improved system out there, My intentions are the furthest from nefarious, what if I wanted to make a new OIL filter sytem but wanted to start with something like the hiedn oil sump but with a stainless pleated filter element from a hydrolics tank sump
this
upload_2019-5-2_9-48-0-png.140201
with a larger surface area and less restriction, with something like this
upload_2019-11-26_18-45-37.jpeg
would that be steeling hiedens "piece"
cuz I am making one and have tried a few filters so far.. but I never thought I was steeling, just making my own, and if someone wanted one then one for them too, Im a builder, and a maker, (that's hipster for making things your self, I find I make the best stuff in a calaboration, so far my only cohort is the guy at the hydrolics shop ,

I actually cant help but think that about every part that comes thru my hands its the way my mind sees it,
the last thing on my mind is becoming a manufacturer?distibuter, and putting Tytronic out of buissness, even if it is in a foreign county(teedering on politics there) we all love to tinker with the little bits and pieces of our projects and toys, and that's all im doing, by the way did you knotice in the "Charlies Ignition" in the videos earlier or the charlies ignition website that its a Made in the USA product, but he has clearly sourced the same parts that the tytronics guy is using, now maybe Charlie gets his parts from a Chinese factory , the same one tytronics gets theres from, or maybe there just rebadged as "chariels USA",I don't really know, either way both these places seem to have taked the idea from the DYNA ignition I have on my sportster. just saying... the boyer is diferent and we know its made across the pond in UK,, I guess my point here is I have no intention of steeling anyones lively hood, personal or corporate, I want to experiment in the making of a electronic ignition, it would be my first forte into Making anything electrical, made many a part but nothing with smoke inside...so I wasn't so much saying hey lets take a boyer box apart and coppie it, yes I know reverse engineer wasn't descriptive enuf, what I want to know is what is that box doing inside threre, cuz I cant make my own if I don't know how it works and what it does., and I have a feeling im so nieve that I would take one apart "RUIN" it and still not find out what it does inside... I hope that you see what I was doing differently now, I do know there are two different guys here in Portland that are making there own homemade electronic ignitions for Hondas and they look like the pamcopete one I saw a picture of, with the computer looking chips on a PCB?.. anyways If im in the wrong here I wont mention it again

Last edited:
I know your intentions are good and you’re trying to solve an electrical need where we are currently left with a void. I am not accusing you of wanting to steal technology either. I was just voicing open concerns about your comments of reverse engineering Boyers system. It’s a slippery slope for sure. I truly hope this Tytronic system pans out and am appreciative of you few members being Guinnea pigs for us all. I’ll be following this for sure as the new system has piqued my interest.

Well, like Willis says, I wasn't accusing either, just pointing out the pitfalls. In the case of Mikes iggy, I know the early ones came with Pete's name still printed on the board. In my mind that constitutes theft of a mans hard earned reputation, unless as I said before... he sold his rights.

thanks I was like "aw man my new friends think im a creep" :redface:

looks like "charlies ignitions" and tytronics, and apparently this company uses the exsact same parts lol:laughing: it even has the "updated LED in it

The early Black box Boyer systems are a very basic transistor ignition using a Hall effect trigger. The later systems Red/Blue boxes are microprocessor controlled systems containing an eprom that contains the information that Boyer put on it, advance curve.
To disassemble one of these boxes is very difficult, I have tried, then to replicate the components, not too difficult,
But to then read and copy the data on the eprom, maybe a tall order. To what end?
We are probably over egging the pudding, when the cost of the system is quite reasonable anyhow.
But, you will never satisfy an enquiring mind.

Yes the e-advance part is an order of magnitude (or two) harder than an electronic points replacement. I recall Chrysler (et al?) replacing the points with an electronic trigger but the mechanical and vacuum advance soldiered on for many years. I have looked longingly at several of the Harley aftermarket programmable advance units. I do have a DOA pete's e-advance in the bins as well as one of his all in ones that I have not installed yet.
I'm having a hard time feeling guilt about reverse engineering a Chinese manufacturer' product. :geek: Or stealing business from mike's for that matter...
Agree with Jim, doubt we'll ever know the "truth" of the pete's, mike's deal.

its been 28 degrees out in the shop and Ive been under the weather. but I decided to try and make the install videio anyways, I brought the "holly roller" inside into the laundry room, this bike is perfect for a test of the tyronics, because it has a brand new battery, its jeted to the T perfect, has crisp throttle and clean power thru the entire powerband, just rebuilt the carbs last week and test drove it, theres nothing off or odd about the bike as it sits now, start first or second kick everytime, so installing this should only improve the situation, I am kinda sad to remove the points plate, Ive got them set PERFECT! and I mean perfect, dwell and timing are on the money! … but HERE BE DRAGONS! right Jim

this is a test to see if the videos upload or look ok

I seem to be having difficulty uploading a vidieo, I may have to make it a you tube video first since I know how to do that , but my tytronics is installed in 15 minutes and it works,lol… I made a few mistakes and had to twist the old brain a bit because I was trying to but the rotor on upside down, that how they say in all the honda videos to do it, paint marks tward engine... but not on these, so I wass scratching my head for a bit.. but once I relised it went paint marks twards the outside of the motor it went smoooooth, the onboard timing lights are awsome, makes it super duper easy, and my second sensor needed no adjustment right on the money.

consider this the "trailer" for the install video, just practicing video stuff
I have recived and offer to purchase three more at that price, I would need 3 people with interest to go ahead with the purchase, Im passing them along at the discount, 75.00 and 7.65 shipping

Last edited:
I seem to be having difficulty uploading a vidieo, I may have to make it a you tube video first since I know how to do that
Yes, upload a video to Youtube and copy the link it provides then click on the "film" button. Paste the Youtube link in the popup window and it will be added to your post.

Untitled.png

I made a video installing it, and tried to upload it to you tube three times yesterday.. I don't have the fastest internet here in the mountains of MT Hood, but it was taking like HOURS, and if I lost conection even for a second, it would loose its place and I had to start over, but Im tryin again now

trying right now to upload it again :doh:

Last edited:
Back