Engine case oil leak

pawthrick

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi,

I just found where my engine leaks.
It's not the clutch pushrod, not the drive sprocket, not gear change axle and not the crank.

It's the egnine halfs on LHS. Area between alternator and clutch pushrod.

It seems like a previous owner that worked on the engine have tried to fix the leakage with silicone :confused:

What to do?
Naturally, the best thing is to split cases, and fix whatever causes the leakage. Bad gaskets or damaged cases is my guess, but I rather not split the cases, not now when the season just started.

Don't sure yet how mutch it leaks, maybe it's not so bad and I can drive it this season. But after a ten minute ride I got a couple stains on the garage floor.

Can I try do like the PO did, fix leakage from the outside somehow. Is silicone really a good solution? Do I have any other options?

I've seen stuff like "Seal savers" that is used to prevent leakage. Not sure if they work in engines or can cause damage, maybe they just work on transmissions and brake systems?

Help and constructive tips are much appriciated.
/Patrik

Attachments

• DSC00481_red.jpg
    DSC00481_red.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 212
Pawthrick, I have the same issue, but I have determined that mine's forward of the crank seal. It's not a significant leak, so what I did was to install a Mike's reed breather valve to help create a little case vacuum, and then install a little brass nipple in the bottom of the left case cover that allow the oil to drain through a hose into the breather filter. Works for now.

I'm not sure about the silicone - I used a bit of Yamabond - but don't use seal saver ass it has particulates that may do harm to clutch/engine parts.

Thanks for the tip, agree about the seal saver.
So Yamabond, we are talking about gasket cement right? So I'll just try to smear that stuff on there instead of that silicone.

About that breather solution...
First of, pictures of your setup?
Mikes reed breather valve, I assume we're talking about Mikesxs? Can't find it on the website.
I'm guessing, and correct me if I'm wrong, the breather valve goes in the vent thingy above the cam tensioner assembly.
Brass nipple in bottom of LHS case cover. Pictures? Too late at night for me now, I'll try understanding this tomorrow after a good nights sleep.

Thanks again for your attention, I really appriciate the help one can get from this forum. Sometimes I don't even have to ask the stupid questions, someone else beat me to it.
It's great!

Good night!

Normally the crankcase breather hoses go into the stock airbox. You are correct about the vents location.

"Sometimes I don't even have to ask the stupid questions, someone else beat me to it.
It's great! "

Oh believe me, I've got plenty of stupid questions left in me!:bike:

An epoxy might fix the leak but could bond the cases together so getting them apart will be A PIA.
It wouldnt take long to pull the engine , flip it up side down and pull the lower case off and reseal it with Three Bond 1104, while you have the case off you might find the PO had it apart and used the silicone to seal things up.

Back