Engine rebuild advice please?

halliday77

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've decided to rebuild my '81 engine in the near future.
I've never done such a thing before, and I'm an amateur mechanic at best, but I'm capable, I'll be working with a similarly capable mate, and we're already knee-deep in pre-work research so I think we'll be just fine.

I just have a few questions I'd love some guidance on so we can plan the HELL out of this thing before we get started.

Firstly - the bike is in fantastic working order, runs smoothly, runs well. My only complaint is that the exhaust smells a bit oily, but based on inspections I am guessing this is most likely a build-up of crap in the engine caused by it being 30+ years old, and having a history of a recurrently fouling right plug and non-firing cylinder caused by a bad idle screw.

I'm planning on basing the job on the guide found at Mike's (http://www.mikesxs.net/xs650engine/Part1.html) and we'll be spending a good while watching videos, reading guides and manuals and planning the job as best we can (until we crack it open and realise everything's stuffed).

My first question: assuming I have all the parts I will need to replace on hand, and not including things I will need to send away to have blasted/ground, would anyone care to estimate how long it will take to strip, clean and rebuild? Everything that doesn't involve professional machining - I will do myself.

Once the engine's dismantled, I'm sending off the crank to Hugh's for a rephased one and a PMA kit, swapping the ignition, taking out the battery, and getting new carbs and manifolds.

My second question is - assuming all engine parts are in perfect order and simply need machining/blasting - exactly what will i need to replace in the way of seals and gaskets?

Lastly - could someone list any specialty tools I might need (things like alternator rotor pullers) and recommend compounds for cleaning the internal and external parts?

I'm sure these questions are probably more complicated than I think, and I know I'll be finding out a lot of this stuff the hard way - but I'm absolutely looking forward to it.

You forum guys have been really great so far, so my thanks in advance for your advice.

Cheers!

I'll take a stab at some of this:
weird tools:
1) valve spring compressor tool. There's really no other way to get the valves out.
2) puller. Not sure how else you'd be able to get the rotor off the crank otherwise.
3) circlip tool. although this is more important to putting them on, than ripping them off if you intend to replace them.
4) impact hammer. There are a few things that are just too bloody tight for a 18v impact driver. Not sure if the hydraulic ones are stronger, so I can't comment on that one. I got mine at AutoZone for $10.
5) screw back out set. I can't tell you if I stripped all the clutch basket screws because I have no technique, or they were over tightened. The back-out bit worked really well for these and a couple of other phillips screws in the engine that were farted up when I tried taking them out. I got one at HF for $4 which, you will find, is something you get what you pay for.

cost estimates:
I had originally set out to do the rephase. But after calculating the extra cost and this being my first engine, I decided to go with just making this one run correctly.
1) rephase as I best can figure costs:
$450 for Hugh to do cam and crank
$290 for the PAMCO/advance kit
2) I got $350 of parts from Mikes including:

4 ea. Valve Stem Seal-each $11.20
4 ea. OEM Cylinder Head Sealing Washer $14.00
1 ea. Rivet Link-DID 219FTss (74-84 650's) $4.50
1 ea. Cam Chain Tensioner Arm $65.00
1 ea. Piston Pin Clips (Pk/2) 447/533 type $2.50
2 ea. Piston Rings "Standard" size 447 type $64.00
1 ea. Shift Shaft Circlip $1.00
1 ea. Brake Lever (black) Fits: 78-84 $6.50
1 ea. Athena Premium Overhaul Gasket Set $57.00
1 ea. Bottom End Copper Washer Kit - 13pc. $7.70
1 ea. 4 Pc. Starter Gear Retention Kit $6.50
1 ea. Allen Bolt - Clutch Spring - (6pc.Set) $33.00
1 ea. Needle Bearing with Thrust Washer $16.50
1 ea. Lock Tab - Clutch Hub Nut $3.50
1 ea. 6mm Countersunk Star Washer pk/10 $3.00
1 ea. Cam Chain- DID 219FTssx106 $49.50
$345.40Sub-Total:

Someone pointed out to me that the overhaul gasket set includes the valve seals so you don't need those. Also, the brake lever was just something I included in this order.

I had to order the cam chain guide from Yambits in the UK for like $30 with shipping I think.

I've recently taken the head, head cover, cylinders, and tranny top and bottom to the machine shop down the street. It's going to cost me around $200 to have them all glass beaded and a clear coat of something put on them.

I'm polishing the side covers myself and spent $47 on a ryobi grinder to use as a buffer, and $20 on the buffing wheels. I ordered 2 sticks of wheel compound and a wheel rake for like $25 from grizzly.com.

Now the part I don't really know. On friday I took the pistons to the machinist and they pointed out to me that one of them seems to have deformed enough to rubbed itself up against the cylinder wall. It's put some shiny marks where there shouldn't be shiny marks. I need to get the measurements to them so they can tell me if I'm in need of an overbore or not. If so, they said it'll be around $150 in addition to all the cleaning. New pistons $108 for 2 kits from Mikes (no matter the size) so I need to find out what size to get. Mikes said they'll take back the rings I already bought, so that will be a wash.

I don't feel qualified to comment on time because I'm just having fun doing this. Here's my progress: http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18860

hope that helps!

Last edited:
Thanks very much mate,

I was actually reading about your progress earlier. Thanks for chiming in!

That certainly does help.
Especially the list of specialty tools.

Now I've just gotta find a shop that'll have 'em!
That's actually high on the planning list - is to find a good shop nearby for parts and support. I've just moved to inner-Sydney and my mate's in the north, so I reckon between us there's bound to be a shop not far.

I'll be sure to stay tuned to your progress in case you hit any snags.

Thanks again for the reply.

Good luck!

Tip number #1 -please buy a manual for the xs650 read it & understand it before you pull it all apart.
Not trying to take work from Hugh - but surely an engineering shop (or bike shop - I'm sure there's many that are capable) can re-phase the crank for you in Sydney, shipping to the US & back will not be cheap...I did mine at home...

Back