Engine Rebuild help needed

They're simple enough to make, just trace your old head gasket on a piece of plywood and have at it with a jigsaw and drill. I plan on making new better ones out of aluminum soon. I'll use them along with a rubber gasket cut from sheet rubber. I already made aluminum ones for some Suzuki heads I'm doing and they worked well .....

SuzHead.jpg

Well done 5T, making those engine covers. Speaking of Suzuki, how is the 500 Titan project coming along?

A silly little thing called "work" has gotten in the way the last 7 or 8 months, so not much headway. But I'm finally laid off again (Yippee!!!) and hope to get back at it soon. It needs everything, lol, so it's a major project.

Hotdog has it right. Solvent, hot soapy water, compressed air ... the whole deal. If ANY grit is left in the engine you will be very, very disappointed sooner rather than later. Pay extra attention to oil passages. Use white paper towels sprayed with WD40 to check your work ... if you rub a surface and it comes away with black crap on it you still have more work to do. Do not submerge the barrel in the hot soapy water; some water can migrate into microscopic gaps between the sleeve and barrel. Instead, hold it upright above the water with sleeves pointing down and use clean washcloths or similar to scrub the bores, sleeves, fins, etc., and then flush with clear hot water.

Back