engine whining when revving up? Help

Are going to replace the cam chain as well? I Think I would. The cam bearings too.

Yamabob,
Mine is making the same exact whine. Using the screwdriver as a stethoscope trick, mine sounds louder at the botom end. I'm going to buy a mechanics stethoscope and re-test. Hopefully its just the top end. Keep us posted on your progress.

When a roller bearing goes bad will it be easy to tell upon inspection? I'd hate to rebuild the top-end to have it be a main.:doh:

The only times that Ive had whining down below on an XS is when Ive discovered the previous owners had rebuilt the bottom ends but had failed to ensure the bearing outer race was correctly seated/located on the peg (or two pegs/bearings on one of the engines!)..In both cases (no pun intended) the locating pegs had been partially crushed into the casing but protruded enough to sqew/tilt the bearing , once properly seated the whining was instantly cured!

Alright its been a while and i have since replaced the cam chain guide because it showed obvious metal to metal contact. Well i got it all back together the other day and it still whines. Like a dumb*** i didnt change the cam bearings or anything else that it could have been because i was almost sure that the guide was the problem. I was wrong of course. So now i am going to have to take it apart again i think i will get a mechanics stethescope to make sure it is top end noise. Any other suggestions? Other than to replace the parts i shoudl have initially?

Eric

Did this get figured out? We'd like to know what was causing the problem.

No i still have the whine in the motor. Changed cam bearing cam chain guide the one that screws through the side of the motor. The other guide is still in the motor. The only moving parts that are left are in the bottom end and that will be a winter project. Bike runs pretty good it just sounds like shit and is very annoying. It has to be either that other cam chain guide or a bearing on the rods or the crank or something. Sorry i didnt get back with you guys. Problem still unsolved???????

Eric

back cam chain tensioner off with engine at idle untill you can hear it start to clack like a loose chain then rev it up if you can still hear the whine you will have eliminated the cam chain this will mean that xs1961 is not to far from your problem

i have the same problem, my bike runs great it just whines up when i rev it and while its ideling, i rode it 50 miles the other day and didnt notice anything different about how it drives just the noise is annoying.

I have heard that noise you describe!!!! I had spun a mainbearing! It sheared off the little pins that hold the outer race to the crankcase. I found afterwards oil passages plugged with black plastic debris from a bad cam chain guide....

is it ok to drive while making that noise? its my only form of transportation. about how long does it take to fix how much?

Well, I don't think any of us have actually determined the cause yet. I'm riding mine because it runs beautifully, but it's not my only transportation.

TC

Yup... it sounds something like a Pete Jackson gear drive (as opposed to timing chain) in a V8. It's not enough to be annoying, really, but it's somewhat discernible.

Have you checked your sump strainer and upper oil filter for debri?

TC

i drained all the oil today the only filter i know about is the one on the very bottom (rectangleish one) and there were a few finelly shreaded peices of metal stuck to the small im guesing they are magnets and i cleaned them off and put new oil in.

that engine had about 20K on a new top end..and 60k on the bottom end...it had been sitting for about 10 years..It was semi seized...I finally got it to free up by rocking the bike in first gear. Then it started right up but I heard the howl...
I tore it down and found the spun bearing....
Do not drive or start a bike with this problem!!!! It will quickly destroy your crankcase...
I ran this motor for only about 10 min in total before I knew I had a serious issue..The crankcase is still salvageable....but barely......

It's normal to have a small amount of metal "paste" from internal wearing of components on the plug magnets. But did you drop the sump plate and check the strainer? Pull the upper filter in the right crank case cover as well. Look for black plastic, magnetic "silt" (a bit is normal) or aluminum. You don't really want to see plastic or aluminum as it would suggest a failing timing chain guide.

TC

Just dug it out!!! The effect was clear! Both outer races on the inner two bearings are cracked....Actually the cases are usable...now that I look at it again...

Attachments

• crank 002.jpg
    crank 002.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 208
  • crank 003.jpg
    crank 003.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 186
Back